2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

Lug Nuts? Nope. Bolts!

55K views 31 replies 21 participants last post by  XJ99 
#1 · (Edited)
I looked up a set of locking lug nuts for the Cherokee and found that they were pretty pricey. So I went out and pulled a lug nut off the Jeep to check its size (I know, I've had it a day and I'm taking it apart already - can't help myself).

Anyway, this is what we have holding our wheels on:

Not lug nuts but lug bolts! Must be that European influence. (VW, Audi, MB, Volvo, BMW...)

The good: The threads are protected and less likely to rust. The bad: Lining up the wheel can be a pain.

The threads seem to be 12mm. The hex is 19mm or 3/4".

See less See more
#2 ·
Yup, I saw this when the tire shop mounted my new shoes. They bolt into the rotors. Like you said, VW and others have been doing this for years. So long as they don't break, I am cool with it.

#3 ·
... Lining up the wheel can be a pain.
The hex is 19mm, and because they want 100 ft-lbs of torque, 19mm is the better choice of socket.

Although lining the wheel up is more difficult, getting it on in the first place is easier -- you just put it on the hub, and it hangs there while you rotate it up to get the first bolt started. It's actually easier than having to align the wheel while lifting it. HPH

#12 ·
I used it when swapping the first of my winter wheels. Then I found that it was actually much easier without it, so I didn't use it for the remaining 3. If the wheels have the correct bore size, they hang on the hub perfectly without it. Then you just have to rotate the wheel until the bolt holes line up. I actually found this much easier than the other vehicles I've had with conventional lug nuts.

#5 ·
<<actually it comes with a long bar in the spare tire area. you screw it in where the lug bolt comes out and use it to guide the tire and wheel on.>>

That's a great tip. I knew that they made guides like that but didn't know that one came with the Jeep.

#6 ·
<<...and because they want 100 ft-lbs of torque...>>

Is that the 'official' wheel bolt torque? Good to know.

#7 ·
@onefunkar - Thanks for the tip on the alignment pin. Here's some stuff from the manual:

7. Remove the alignment pin from the jack assembly and
thread the pin into the wheel hub to assist in mounting
the spare tire.

Torque Specifications
Lug Nut/Bolt Torque - 100 Ft-Lbs (135 N·m)
**Lug Nut/Bolt Size - M12 x 1.25
Lug Nut/Bolt Socket Size - 19 mm

**Use only Chrysler recommended lug nuts/bolts and
clean or remove any dirt or oil before tightening.

Reactions: 007
#9 · (Edited)
I think having two of those wheel guide pins would be handy to have around the garage. Screwing two onto the hub would make mounting the wheel a snap. I wonder what they cost?

Edit: I found them aftermarket. What the conversion from Euros to dollars? :grin:
http://www.autoinparts.com/Wheel_nuts,_bolts,_locks,_spacers_and_accessories-Quick_Align_Wheel_Tool/c628_962/p112626/Quick_Align_Wheel_Tool_-_M12_x_1.25_Thread_-_Fiat_Fitment/product_info.html

Here are some really nice ones but unfortunately not available in the 1.25 thread pitch: http://www.autowerksofamerica.com/product/lug-bolt-guide-tool.htm

#30 ·
I think having two of those wheel guide pins would be handy to have around the garage. Screwing two onto the hub would make mounting the wheel a snap. I wonder what they cost?

Edit: I found them aftermarket. What the conversion from Euros to dollars? 😁

Here are some really nice ones but unfortunately not available in the 1.25 thread pitch: HugeDomains.com - AutowerksOfAmerica.com is for sale (Autowerks Of America)
Just bring a Lug Bolt into a hardware store.. ( I went into Tractor Supply) and match up the threads with the tire hanger and bring it home and cut off the head.. Have a spare for a couple of dollars..

#11 ·
I had the same type of wheel bolts on my '08 Outlander but if Mitsubishi included that centering pin, I never knew it. Without it, it was a s.o.bof a job to hold the wheel up and get the first wheel bolt screwed in. Luckily, I only had one flat in the 6 years I owned the car.
:smile:

#14 ·
It didn't take much searching to find the guide pin. It's handily attached to the jack with a spring clip. It looks like if I could find a long 12mmx1.25 bolt and hacksaw the head off, I could make another one.

Reactions: 007
#16 ·
I just got new aftermarket wheels, and when installing them on my 2015 latitude found I need a hub centric ring because the new wheel bore is bigger than the original. Does anybody know what the hub diameter is, or the original 17 inch wheels hub bore is? And who sells these centric rings?

#18 ·
You know I wanted a locking pin on my TH as well. I didn't want anyone trying to take my Wheels. And I'm used to having one from my Civic to my Lexus. But having to have these, locking pins are PRICEY :(

#19 ·
What I don't like to see is that stainless steel cap on there. In the Charger world they caused no end of heartache. One size off on the socket and you end up spinning that cap. Then you have to basically destroy the steel cap to get at lug. Serious PITA. Think I'll be getting these for the wifes TH, in black of course, but they sell the same thing in chrome. Would have to verify thread length.

http://www.mcgard.com/index.php/aut...x-of-50-lug-bolts&Itemid=0&category_pathway=0

#22 · (Edited)
What I don't like to see is that stainless steel cap on there. In the Charger world they caused no end of heartache. One size off on the socket and you end up spinning that cap. Then you have to basically destroy the steel cap to get at lug. Serious PITA. Think I'll be getting these for the wifes TH, in black of course, but they sell the same thing in chrome. Would have to verify thread length.

http://www.mcgard.com/index.php/aut...x-of-50-lug-bolts&Itemid=0&category_pathway=0
I think those would be perfect. OEM shank is 26mm, according to this post : http://jeepcherokeeclub.com/41-wheels-tires-brakes-suspension/82514-lug-nut-size.html#post906402

I've seen some online with slightly longer shanks (28mm) that seem approved for the KLs.
Example :

Edit to add :
Or these :

#20 ·
No problem with lug bolts as I've had them on German, Italian and Japanese cars for many years. I think my '03 PT Cruiser had lug bolts, but won't guarantee that. They work. No problemo! Ted

#21 ·
I bought a set and and inquired about the torque, but it was a Saturday and one of the techs offered to install them for me at no charge for the installation which I gladly accepted.

#23 ·
Love the ones on my Charger. I've had to chisel off three or four of those caps over the years. Use small straight slot to punch through the center, pry out, then chisel down the side being careful not to slip and mar the wheel. With solid stainless, no worries like that.

#25 ·
Our '02 and '05 Libertys as well. I did my own wheel changes (summer<>winter) except a few times, like when the mechanic at the dealership looked at my brakes, overtighened the lug nuts, then found myself cussing at those caps. One I couldn't get off myself, went back to the dealership, explained to the service manager who said : yeah, I know which guy did that... sorry... and had the stud drilled from behind.

I will do the wheel changes on the KL as well, so I guess I'm gonna look for cap-free bolts.

#27 · (Edited)
26mm to 28mm is fine. I have both (OEM 26mm and tuner 28mm).

"Adapters" you mean spacers, right ? If so, unless I'm wrong, they bolt onto the hubs (you would use your lug bolts here) and then they have studs sticking out for the wheels. You would therefore need lug nuts to secure your wheels to the spacers. I haven't purchased spacers, but maybe they come with lug nuts already.

Edit to add : lug nuts need to be conical, for Cherokee wheels.

#32 ·
Cool deal! I didn't even know about that alignment tool...
I'll have to try it next time!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.