What winch is better? - 2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums
User Tag List

 4Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-27-2016, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 149
What winch is better?

Hi All,

I need your help in picking a winch.

Thanks!


http://www.harborfreight.com/9000-lb...U3In0%3D%0D%0A


http://www.harborfreight.com/12000-l...Q2In0%3D%0D%0A
Ghost202 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-27-2016, 04:13 PM
Super Moderator
 
Len1304's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Hurst, Tx
Posts: 4,003
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost202 View Post
For what application? Behind the bumper on the KL? Neither. It's unlikely theyll fit. In general bigger is usually better. A larger winch will usually use less power than a small winch pulling the same weight.

2014 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk v6 (TOTALED)
2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk v6

Contact me privately via Instagram @Len1304

Check out my album: http://s1168.photobucket.com/user/Len1304/story

http://jeepcherokeeclub.com/4-2014-2...rum-rules.html
Len1304 is offline  
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-27-2016, 04:59 PM
Super Moderator
 
gravitywell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Fairfax, VA
Posts: 3,161
Garage
I'm not sure I'd trust a big purchase like a winch to Harbor Freight.

Killer prices though.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

His: 2015 Cherokee TH: Brilliant Black; V6
Mods: Gobi Rack and Ladder; Interior/Exterior LED upgrade; Xenon-Depot No Resistor HIDs; Hazard Sky Fabrications Lift Kit

Hers: 2015 Renegade Trailhawk: Alpine White; 2.4L


Forum Rules.
gravitywell is offline  
 
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-27-2016, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Len1304 View Post
For what application? Behind the bumper on the KL? Neither. It's unlikely theyll fit. In general bigger is usually better. A larger winch will usually use less power than a small winch pulling the same weight.
I am actually planning on mounting it on top of the bumper they also sell a universal mount plate.
Ghost202 is offline  
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-27-2016, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravitywell View Post
I'm not sure I'd trust a big purchase like a winch to Harbor Freight.

Killer prices though.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Can't pass up the price I watch a few youtube videos and read some reviews nothing but positive feedback.
gravitywell likes this.
Ghost202 is offline  
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-27-2016, 05:21 PM
Super Moderator
 
Len1304's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Hurst, Tx
Posts: 4,003
Garage
In that case, no larger than 9k personally. Reason being is anything bigger can actually damage a unibody if it's not mounted squarely or if you happen to do an off angle pull.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ghost202 likes this.

2014 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk v6 (TOTALED)
2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk v6

Contact me privately via Instagram @Len1304

Check out my album: http://s1168.photobucket.com/user/Len1304/story

http://jeepcherokeeclub.com/4-2014-2...rum-rules.html
Len1304 is offline  
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-27-2016, 05:24 PM
Super Moderator
 
Len1304's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Hurst, Tx
Posts: 4,003
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost202 View Post

I am actually planning on mounting it on top of the bumper they also sell a universal mount plate.


I'm also curious what you'll come up with but please don't compromise, winching can be exceedingly dangerous especially with cable rather than synthetic line. If you have a trailer hitch consider installing a hitch mounted winch. It'll be removable. I actually run an 8k winch in the front AND another 8k winch in the rear on my Cherokee.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk v6 (TOTALED)
2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk v6

Contact me privately via Instagram @Len1304

Check out my album: http://s1168.photobucket.com/user/Len1304/story

http://jeepcherokeeclub.com/4-2014-2...rum-rules.html
Len1304 is offline  
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-27-2016, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Len1304 View Post
In that case, no larger than 9k personally. Reason being is anything bigger can actually damage a unibody if it's not mounted squarely or if you happen to do an off angle pull.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you for that info. Will that be enough power to pull me or someone out?
Ghost202 is offline  
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-27-2016, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Len1304 View Post
I'm also curious what you'll come up with but please don't compromise, winching can be exceedingly dangerous especially with cable rather than synthetic line. If you have a trailer hitch consider installing a hitch mounted winch. It'll be removable. I actually run an 8k winch in the front AND another 8k winch in the rear on my Cherokee.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was thinking about the rear mount.
Ghost202 is offline  
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-27-2016, 05:29 PM
Super Moderator
 
Len1304's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Hurst, Tx
Posts: 4,003
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost202 View Post
Thank you for that info. Will that be enough power to pull me or someone out?


If you use a pulley from a winch recovery kit yes. Using a pulley can basically double your pulling power while reducing strain on the vehicle doing the pulling. If it's something you plan to do often, like myself (I winch 2-3 times a month) I recommend anchors or something to connect the opposite side of the jeep to. Keeps you from pulling yourself into what you are winching.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk v6 (TOTALED)
2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk v6

Contact me privately via Instagram @Len1304

Check out my album: http://s1168.photobucket.com/user/Len1304/story

http://jeepcherokeeclub.com/4-2014-2...rum-rules.html
Len1304 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the 2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



  Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Powering a winch getdamafiaonyou Electronics, Audio, and Lighting 5 09-23-2015 09:19 PM
How to reverse winch? CARiD CARiD.com 0 04-24-2015 09:20 AM
Winch fastwally 2014+ Jeep Cherokee General Discussion 2 08-24-2014 02:31 PM
winch mount mtudb24 Exterior 9 05-30-2014 03:28 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On