2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

No Spare???

35K views 88 replies 61 participants last post by  Mattgm869 
#1 ·
Just curious if anybody else go this line of bull from the dealer.
"No compact spare cause nobody ever uses them. We get trades in here everyday with the compact spare all dry rotted. Just call Chrysler Roadside Assistance." :dodgy:
Huh? How much could they really be saving by not installing the compact spare? I would sure like to know that my wife had one if she were to ever need it. We have AAA too, but to sit and wait for emergency assistance could be a problem sometimes.

Paul

#42 · (Edited)
Ive been driving a Honda CR-V the last 7 years without ever having to use my spare which is still new. I have had flats but the Bridgestone tires I used had reinforced sidewalls which allowed me highway speeds even though tire pressure was low. The only way I knew it was flat was looking at it. Im wondering if the Firestone tires will do that and make the spare uneccessary.

Using the canned fix a flat you should always tell whoever is fixing your tire it was used or they will hate you.

Not having to change my tires in blistering cold was one of the reasons I went from a car with low profile tires (a phase I went through in my 20's looking for better handling) to a SUV. Potholes were no longer enemies to be feared.

#43 ·
Another reason to order the Tow group.
Full size spare and upgraded cooling.
For $450 its a bargain and you get Tow capacity/ability on top of that especially with a V6.

#46 ·
One of the VPs at work commented on his vehicles which did not come with spares; his latest Vette, Cobra, Ford GT, Grand Cherokee...

Reactions: eak
#49 ·
In the past there's been other posts about this. My Cherokee came with the compact spare and jack. I think because of the ADII option. Do a search and I believe you'll find more posts about the spare tire issue. Apparently it only comes with certain options.

#54 ·
When I bought my vehicle I did not know some vehicles did not come with a spare. My window sticker does not list the spare at all, but I do have the compact spare. I believe it comes with the ADII 4x4 system and off road suspension.

#55 ·
It's an option when the order is entered. Your window sticker would have a line item if it was ordered . So if you are ordering u could get it added and pay the additional amount , if you are picking it of the lot than you could add that in the negotiation ....that should be an item that should be discussed after you have agreed to a price or you will end up paying either way ��

#57 ·
How to find a spare, but that's just the start

For those hunting a full size spare, you'll most likely need a 17x7, 5x110mm wheel. The Cherokee is the only current vehicle using that size which makes finding one hard. I finally found one at a salvage yard by looking for a wheel from with a 2010 Pontiac G6 or Chevy Malibu. Both of those use the same size as the Cherokee.

Finding the jack is the hard part - you need a jack that will collapse to about 7 inches but extend to at least 16 inches in order to get the new tire mounted. The scissor jacks I found only go to 14" and the bottle jacks that go to 17 inches don't collapse far enough to get under the car if you have a complete flat.

My local dealer says he can't get just a jack without ordering the full spare kit. I know that is BS but doesn't matter if he won't cooperate.

#62 ·
The Trailhawk comes with a full size spare, on an ugly steel wheel. So I bought an oem aluminum wheel which will let us rotate all 5 tires. That said, I can only remember one flat on the road in the last 25 years, on our PT Cruiser during a x-country trip back in '05; a nail in a construction area! At least the car had a compact spare, but limping for miles down a major 4 lane highway at 50 mph was not fun. I do think anyone who does much travelling should spring for a full size spare; it is only common sense.

#65 ·
I had an Audi TT with no spare. Just the crap-in-a-can.
The first flat left my wife on the side of a busy road for two hours waiting on a flatbed to come get her. During that time, a pickup tried to move over to the lane farthest from us, clipped a Prius he didn't/couldn't see, overcompensated back to the right, went airborne, flipped over the hood of our car and suddenly having no spare in the car became a rescue event as we tried to extract him from his collapsed truck.
I bought another wheel and tire for that car but, it wouldn't fit in the trunk so I left it at the house.
The second time, at 5am, my wife had a flat about a mile from the house. I got the spare and she was on her way. The stock donut that came with the TT would not fit our "S" model due to larger brake calipers.
Never again will I buy a car w/o a spare. I don't know what idiot thought spare tires were obsolete but that person should be tied up by their toenails.

#68 · (Edited)
Can someone confirm the 17x7, 5x110mm wheel on the 2015 Latitude.

I know jack squat about wheel size, but I do know I need a spare. I'm on shell roads far too often. I was blown way over when I opened the well only to find that pathetic inflator.

Has anyone found a cheap(ish) steel wheel that works on the vehicle and fits in the well.

Thanks,
Stunned Newbie

Edit: I assume something like this would work:
https://americaswheel.com/pacer-cla...25+60+17&category=Wheels&part_number=83B-7713

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.