So I got around to installing my RRO bumper a few weeks ago. I discovered (like others have) that the spacers that they sent were about 3/4" too long. Not a problem, I can fix too long, too short is a bit harder. I grabbed my dremmel and about a dozen cutting wheels and cut 3/4" off each spacer. Perfect...sort of.
The bumper now sit flush with the car, but the prerunner plate would not install since the light mount tabs were hitting the bumper loop before the base was flush with the front of the bumper. So, I grabbed all those 3/4" loops I cut off and I used them as outside spacers to move the prerunner plate out 3/4" to clear everything. When I went to install my lights, I found that they didn't fit (barely), but if I could move the prerunner out another 1/4" it would work. Now, who do I know who could help me?
I contacted HazzardSky and we chatted about options. We decided that aluminum was best, and we were going to upgrade from RRO's (surprising) grade 5 bolts to grade 8 since I would now need longer bolts. We ordered bolts that were 1" longer than what was supplied, which also allowed me to put an additional nylon nut on the bolt inside the bumper, just to give the bolts more threads to grab onto.
I took some measurements and sent HS a detailed schematic of what I needed. I made it sit flush at the top of the bumper, not the prerunner, and about 1/16" narrower to allow space for my license plate. It also has a rounded corner to help blend it at the bottom. A few days later he was at my dealership with a 3D printed prototype to confirm fitment before going to final material. A few days after that, I had water-jet cut aluminum spacers, and he even painted them black for me, which was a service NOT discussed in the initial quote! I was very pleased with the customer service I experienced.
Now for some pictures!
They were crazy easy to install, since I did not have to remove the bumper to install them. I just took the two bolts out on each side separately (and carefully so that the spacers in the bumper wouldn't fall down inside the fascia since the tension against them was now gone), slipped the spacer in place, and put the new bolts in. The color match is very close to the RRO finish.
I really like how the front is now protruding a bit. Since my car is black, a bit of the profile of the bumper is lost at a distance. Now that the prerunner sticks out another inch, it helps to distinguish it from the profile of the car. All in all, I love the new look, and the fitment of my lights was absolutely dependent on this vital component.