2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

trailer brake controller

209K views 230 replies 75 participants last post by  AWIPJP 
#1 ·
So this is a little off-topic but I can't think of anywhere else to put it.

Has anyone figured out how to wire a electric brake controller into the Cherokee with the tow package? I figure there are some wires under the dash somewhere, but I have not found them yet.

#3 ·
I'm not sure about the answer to your question John as I have surge brakes on my boat trailer. I always understood electrical brakes required the 7 pin connector and did not think anything else was required.

The following is what I discovered in the owners manual - hope it might help.

Towing Requirements – Trailer Lights And Wiring
Whenever you pull a trailer, regardless of the trailer size,
stoplights and turn signals on the trailer are required for
motoring safety.
The Trailer Tow Package may include a four- and sevenpin
wiring harness. Use a factory approved trailer harness
and connector.
NOTE: Do not cut or splice wiring into the vehicles
wiring harness.
The electrical connections are all complete to the vehicle
but you must mate the harness to a trailer connector.
Refer to the following illustrations.

Next illustrations in the manual show 4 & 7 pin connectors and wiring connections.

#4 ·
Bill, thank you. but that does not discuss how to wire the brake controller. Normally they would prodvide 4 wires or a plug under the dash to hook the brake controler to. I could not find anything in the owner'a manual about it.

Electric brakes require a controller that actives the brakes on the trailer. This is not normally included on most vehicles.

#23 ·
From Chrysler's wiring diagram database: There is a 4-pin connector in the usual location above the driver's footwell. I haven't personally gone looking for it yet, but according to their info, it's there.
Does your source tell you what each of those pins is for?

#9 ·
Thank you. That is the first diagram I have seen that pinpointed its location. I guess I need to go back under the dash and look for it again. Looks like it is at the end of the large wiring bundle in the driver footwell.

#10 · (Edited)
Thanks to CDNTrailHawk I was able to find the plug for the harness tonight.

It is located behind the plastic kick panel in the drivers foot well.

You remove the screw and carefully pry the tab that is holding the kick panel in place from its bracket. The plug is on the firewall/wheel well behind the wiring. It is the grey plug you can see next to the metal bracket. That wire with the finned covering was in front of it and made it hard to find.

#15 · (Edited)
The black surface mounted plug next to the hood release is the ODBII connector for diagnostics.

Yes the arrow points to the correct plug. Most of the name brand brake controllers have a double ended plug. One end fits the controller the other fits the plug under the dash. For the Tekonsha products (Prodigy) the part number is Tekonsha 3045-P. This is the same one that is used on the 2011-2014 Grand Cherokee.

Reactions: Black 'Hawk
#17 ·
#18 ·
If you would like a non wired simple RF solution. This one works well have used it with my Touareg and will use it with my TH when it arrives. Best part it can be used with multiple vehicles without physically wiring a control unit int the cab of each.

http://www.etrailer.com/Brake-Controller/Tekonsha/90250.html

Cheers
Rene

#124 ·
If you would like a non wired simple RF solution. This one works well have used it with my Touareg and will use it with my TH when it arrives. Best part it can be used with multiple vehicles without physically wiring a control unit int the cab of each.

http://www.etrailer.com/Brake-Controller/Tekonsha/90250.html

Cheers
Rene
Swede
On the wireless system, were is the brakes power drawn from? Electric brakes can draw som high amperage at times. I would be concerned if it was being drawn from the light circuit.

#19 ·
Very cool and thanks for the info, I can't really imaging pulling anything too heavy with the TH but this is a must have.

If you get a chance post pics of the installed product, I'm curious to see if it would get in the way of my knee.

#20 ·
The only practicle place I can see to mount one is to the left of the steering column on the door to the storage compartment that is there. I think the cubby is too small to actually mount one in it.

#21 ·
I was looking at he cables online and think I may be wrong about the one that the Cherokee uses. I need to double check the plug and see. But I think it actually uses the Dodge pigtail and not the Jeep one.

#22 ·
A little variation on the the theme.

I plan to use the Jeep wiring differently. I did this on another vehicle and it worked well.

I have hydraulic surge brakes on the trailer. It has a "backflow solenoid" that allows one to disable the trailer brakes with the solenoid. I hook the backup light lead to the solenoid so when backing up, the surge does not apply the brakes.

I also hook the brake signal wire to the solenoid, via a simple switch under the dash. I use this to manually disable the brakes when going down very long hills using engine braking. If you don't do this, the engine braking applies the surge brakes for a long time and they can overheat.

Its a Colorado thing. :)

#219 ·
Where exactly under the dash ? I have looked all over the place and I have the factory tow package ....

#27 ·
I have been talking with tekonsha support. the correct plug would be on the 3021-p cable for the current rams. But the battery and trailer brake wires are swapped on the connector according to the pinouts you provided.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.