2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

Fuel light

110K views 32 replies 25 participants last post by  CptCrackers 
#1 ·
Once the orange fuel light comes on is there any indication as to how much gas you have left to empty? Will you get another warning? I was too afraid to test it and couldn't find anything in manual.

#4 ·
Best way to find out exactly is as soon as that light comes on, fill up the tank. The tank is 60 liters. So if it takes 50 liters to fill, you know you had 10 liters left. My manual says the low fuel light comes on when there is 11 liters left in the tank (which is a lot).

#8 ·
It's one of those built in redundancies..it's a idiot light to ensure you never run out of gas, 11 litres when the light comes one means at least 100kms of range...however running it that low would drag all the crap settles at the bottom of the tank through the system

#9 ·
Do most people actually see their low fuel lights?

I bet I see a low fuel light once every 100K miles or so. I hate to see my tank fall below 1/2 a tank, and it is a rare day when I get below a 1/4 tank.

I am not looking forward to the tiny tank of the Cherokee.

Reactions: onefunkar
#11 ·
Compared with the Cherokees competition, how does the fuel tank compare ?

#12 · (Edited)
You really don't want a larger tank than 60 liters - it hinders fuel economy. The more gas you have in a tank = more weight your vehicle has to lug around when it's full. A rule of thumb with to follow: 1 gallon of fuel = 10 lbs (I remember this from when I was an aquarium hobbiest. There would be warnings on an empty aquarium to not try to ever lift an aquarium full of water as 1 gal of water = 10 pounds. So even a small 20 gallon tank filled with water weighed 200 pounds).

#17 ·
You really don't want a larger tank than 60 liters - it hinders fuel economy.

I really do want a larger tank. I'd be happy to lose a slight amount of economy for greater range -- especially in a vehicle intended to leave the beaten path (and nearby gas stations).

I could see putting the smaller tank in the fwd 4-bangers, but a V6 TH/Tow Pack.. C'mon, obviously fuel economy wasn't the primary consideration for buyers in this configuration.

#13 ·
an extra 3 or 4 gal what make range much better. 30 or 40 pounds of fuel when full isnt much weight. nice to have when driving thru the night and not wanting to stop and find fuel. its not a deal killer as i still bought one but would have liked 18 plus gal tank like vehicle i traded.

#14 ·
Agree. Couple extra gallons isn't going to affect economy.

This post has been deleted
#16 ·
Thanks ib516, as that is what I thought. My grand Cherokee was around 4.5 gallons till light up.
I never did like to go that low mainly because I had heard that its the gas that actually cools the fuel pump. Over time it could shorten its life.
Having to replace a fuel pump many years ago, it was a wallet buster.

#22 ·
I use the Automatic app with the ODBII connector and they just updated the app....it now displays low fuel warnings, and it counts down the miles to empty.

While the dash just has the low fuel light the ODBII is sending out a countdown, got it down to 12 MTE and then filled up.

Don't know why they did not send the data to the dash like all the other cars do.

#23 ·
Last week I pushed the TH until the low fuel light came on:

1) Just to see if it actually worked
2) To see how much fuel was left in the tank

By the time I filled up, the MTE (miles to empty) was at 34 and I ended up putting a little over 14 gallons in the tank (14.2). So, if the tank size is 15.9 gallons, that meant that I still had another 1.7 gallons left. Since I was getting 20mpg at the time, the calculations were right on the money.

#27 ·
There was another thread discussing this where I clarified the Range indication vs. fuel level low light (the amber Fuel pump icon).

Fuel level low light: indicates the tank has less than approximately 3 gallons of fuel left (volume).

Low Range: Indicates that you have less than 30 miles remaining on the tank based on current average fuel economy and fuel level remaining.

I have had poor enough fuel economy where the fuel economy gauge shows "Low Range" but the fuel level low light hasn't come on yet. (right around 10MPG).

For most people getting around 20MPG or more, the fuel level low light will come on with about 60 miles of range left (or more). Once the range gets below 30 miles, then you'll have "Low Range" shown in the fuel economy EVIC screen. If you're getting about 20MPG, then that means you've probably got around 1.5 gallons of fuel left. That's probably a great time to fill up. Any lower and you risk long term fuel pump damage.

#26 · (Edited)
From the Owners Manual:

Fuel Economy
Push and release the UP or DOWN arrow button until
the Fuel Economy Menu item is highlighted. Push and
Hold the OK button to reset feature.
• Range
• Average Fuel Economy
• Current Fuel Economy (MPG or L/100 km)

Reactions: DZOnline
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.