2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

Jeep Cherokee SRT Rumored With Turbo V6

9K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Adi 
#1 ·

With the 2014 Jeep Cherokee getting ready to hit dealerships in the near future, the American automaker might already working on a high-performance SRT variant.

The current Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT is powered by a 6.4-liter V8 that’s good for 470 horsepower and 465 lb-ft of torque, but don’t expect such a massive powerplant finding its way into the Cherokee SRT. It will likely be an all-wheel-drive model and would be unusual for the Cherokee’s segment.

As for what will power the Cherokee SRT8, that’s a decision that’s still being held tightly indoors. The American automaker has been wanting to develop a turbocharged, 3.0-liter Pentastar V6 powerplant for quite some time now, and a single-turbo application could generate around 375 horsepower while a twin-turbo setup could offer 410 horsepower.

Regardless, buyers interested in the 2014 Jeep Cherokee but craving more performance might want to hold on to their wallets just a little while longer until the automaker is ready to announce its SRT variant.

Don’t forget that the Cherokee is based on the same platform as the Dodge Dart, which rumors suggest will also get an SRT variant in the future.

[Source: Allpar]

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Living at nearly 5000 ft, and doing a lot driving up to 7000 ft, a turbo engine would make the KL much more attractive to me, but please, not a boulevard cruiser SRT model! A naturally aspirated engine loses 13% of its power here; 20% at 7000 ft. I'd have to buy a 3.2 to have decent power; a 2.4 up here is going to be seriously underpowered. A turbo 2.4 with maybe 220 BHP regardless of elevation, would be a fantastic KL engine!

#3 ·
Well that would be an interesting development. I would definitely be interested in more power, but only if ride comfort remains acceptable and highway fuel economy doesn't suffer too much. I assume some revisions to the AWD system would be required?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.