2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

Almost ready for moab trip

7K views 32 replies 14 participants last post by  shayne10 
#1 ·
Roof tent is ready to go. Just waiting for my rock rails.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Cool! Specs? Source? Cost? How does the Jeep drive on the highway with that on? Any noise? I was considering (hard) getting one for my trailer top before my road trip but opted to go with the ground tents.

#5 ·
Went with the cascadia vehicle tent. I purchased the Shasta pioneer model which sleeps three comfortably. I will be driving this week with the tent on and camping at a state park next weekend. I will give an update after the trip along with some better pics. I will include the annex which came with my purchase. I also got the skygazer windows. Can't wait to see the night sky in Moab while in the tent.

#6 ·
Awesome, thank you.

#7 ·
Are our roofs rated for that? I thought they couldn't handle the weight of 3 people a tent and a rack... I have no idea though, I could be very wrong!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

Reactions: bmendenhall1
#23 ·
The mounting points for any of the rails or roof rack systems are simply rivnuts secured to the top of the vehicles roof. They are not very supportive. I'm curious to see how this turns out. With that much weight on top of a KL, I'm assuming the top might cave in lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#27 ·
Camping went great. Didn't hook up the annex due to lots of mud on the ground. Tent held up well to a fairly hard rain. Drove with the tent all week with no issues and no noticeable hit on my mpg.

Attachments

#28 ·
How are those roof tents in windy conditions? I would imagine you would need to be out of the wind. Those look like they would bounce around if it were windy....

#30 · (Edited)
I like the idea of being above the food chain, but have gone a different direction. I'm lovin this trailer. Used to tent-it but now that I'm an old guy, the ground is harder than it used to be. I've added 15" tires wheels to the trailer (235/75/15) and an axle spacer kit to kick the trailer up to 12" of clearance. The whole rig weighs in at about 1100 lbs loaded. I'm leaving for Moab on Friday, 3 March.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.