2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

Spring and/or Summer Assateague Island trip/meet?

8K views 71 replies 11 participants last post by  tbrou6229 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Please read rest of thread for more details.

I've seen a bunch of Jeeps on here that have Assateague Island passes on their windshields (mine included). Who would be down for a day trip to the beach this summer, or several? for those that haven't beached their Jeep before, it's not the off-road adventure that a trail offers, but it offers an unparalleled view, and the ability to see scenery that you have to experience. we could even go down once or twice in the cold when it's not crowded to just beach drive and check out the abandoned houses, and maybe Tom's Cove (i've never been down to Tom's Cove before). so, who's in? suggestions? ideas? @HazzardSky & @MarinR00, i know you have/had passes.

Updates to post #1

I decided to keep all important updates in post #1 to prevent scrolling for info in case the thread takes off

CONFIRMED ATTENDEES
1) @IRSmart
2) @HazzardSky
3) @gravitywell
4) @fdegree
5) Others TBA

Date: 4/23
Time: 9:00AM at Visitor's Station

REQUIRED EQUIPMENT
The following equipment is required to be in your vehicle. I do not know the procedures for if 4 out of 5 members of a group has all of the equipment and one does not, and is being inspected. The rangers are allowed to inspect you for the items, and although I've never been inspected, other members here have.

-A shovel with a blade at least 6" square and at least 18" long.
-A vehicle jack sufficient to lift one wheel clear of the sand.
-A jack support that is at least 12"x12" of non-bending steel, 5/8" plywood or 1½" hardwood.
-A tire gauge with a minimum reading of 15 pounds or less.
-A tow rope or tow strap, chain or cable with a minimum pulling strength of 6,000 pounds and at least 10 feet long. Minimum diameter is ½" for nylon or Dacron ropes; ¾" for all other ropes; ¼" for carbon steel cable; 5/16" for chain links.

COST
Total cost depends on when we go, and what pass you buy. If we go when the park entrance fee is waived, you only need to buy an OSV pass. That fee is never waived, and you need to display an OSV pass on your windshield to drive on the beach. If we go outside of when the entrance fee is waived, it is up to you whether you want to buy a week pass or a year pass. I highly recommend the year, since you're already getting a year pass with the OSV, and you WILL want to come back. The entrance and OSV pass will get you into both the MD and VA side of the beach.

Park entrance fee, 7 days: $20
Park entrance fee, 1 year: $40
OSV pass: $90

MISC NOTES
The sites are breathtaking, bring a camera for sure.

The OSV and entrance passes are obtained at different areas of the park. We would probably meet up at the visitor's center where you get the park passes, then head over to the ranger's station to get the OSV passes.

There is an area to air down right before you get to the beach, and it is recommended to go down to 15 psi. They also have public air pumps, which sometimes lose power. I know some of you are equipped with on-board air compressors (like @myfirstcherokee) so please keep in mind if the power goes down we may need to drive into Berlin to find another public air station.

There are two OSV zones, one in MD and one in VA. I have never done the VA side, as you can't just drive down the beach to VA. They have a fence set up, you need to drive back to the mainland and down to VA to do their side. We can do both if there is interest.

Stopping to set up to "beach" will depend on weather and what time of year we choose.

For any and all information pertaining to the OSV of Assateague, check out their website, here.

See less See more
#36 ·
Last time I was out there, I killed off less than a quarter tank doing the full loop. 4-low usually isnt recommended for sand, but with our 4x4 system it is pretty darn good at managing it so it doesn't just dig in. You'll probably see 9th gear too!

I'll be at assateague tomorrow actually, though in the wrangler instead of the KL, but i'll make some better notes about how it all stacks up. Unless anyone wants to join me tomorrow, but being a tuesday i'm expecting to be alone

Reactions: gravitywell
#37 ·
Sorry guys, I'm out on this trip. Maybe I'll catch another one.

#38 ·
I could be wrong, but I think the entrance fee might be waived this weekend, since it is National Park Week.
@IRSmart, I have 2 questions:
1. If the entrance fee is waived this weekend, do you know which fee that impacts, and just how much the total cost will be?
---- I'm guessing we would just be looking at the OSV $90 fee, is that correct?
2. Do you know if the park accepts credit cards, or will I need cash?

#39 ·
1) Yes, the park fee is waived this weekend (which is why I chose the date I did), but the $90 OSV pass is still required.

2) They accept credit and cash, whichever is easier.

Feel free to invite others. My friend in a Ram 1500 is coming, and my sister may bring her 4Runner

#40 ·
We're thinking about traveling down Saturday night, since it's nearly a 4hr drive for us.

Which part of the Island are we doing? MD or VA?

Would Ocean City be the best place to get a hotel for the night?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

#41 ·
We will be meeting at the visitors station on the MD side of the island in Berlin at 9:00 am. Ocean city isn't too far and has plenty of hotels, there shouldn't be any shortage of places to stay. If there is a general consensus, we may drive down and do the VA side as well, but you have to drive all the way back inland and down through VA to get to the VA entrance, you can't just keep on driving down the beach to the VA side. we'll see. it looks like it may rain, so that may (or may not) impact whether we go to VA or not.

#42 ·
A few more days, any more takers? Also, feel free to bring any friends along. I should have a buddy in a Ram 1500 that may be coming as well.

#43 ·
While the forecast could change, they are currently predicting Sundays weather to be about 60 degrees and rain. Locally, in the Salisbury and OC areas, they are guessing over 0.50" of rain. If the weather actually plays out this way, will this trip still be on?

#44 ·
I'll be headed down, rain or shine. I understand if others feel differently, but my intent was not to get out (for long) and set up camp, so rain or no rain, i'll be running up and down the beach.

#45 ·
@HazzardSky, @gravitywell, @fdegree, what are your thoughts for this weekend? I've been staring at the weather report like a hawk, and it's not getting better. my plan was to head down regardless, but the sights will be less spectacular in the rain (can't really get out and take things in that way). i'm still in, but i don't want others to feel like they're being drug along for the sake of it.

#46 ·
Still monitoring the weather, so, still tentative.

I really want to get on the island, but 8 hours of driving, and a hotel make it hard to justify if it's raining the entire time.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

#49 ·
As long as you are going, I plan to be there. I want to learn how to drive on the beach and soft sand...I need someone to tell me what to do, and NOT to do. This will be a new experience for me. The rain may make the soft sand, not-so-soft though.

However, if everyone decides not to go, due to the weather, no problem...I completely understand.

#51 ·
That sucks, i'd love to get a look at your KL, you've been very helpful since your joining a few months ago. i will be making several day trips there this weekend and may plan another group trip for later in the summer.

#53 ·
If anything it might actually be easier with wet sand, rather than dry. Tends to pack in easier, and as long as you don't gun it, shouldn't be an issue. I've been on the beach quite a few times in different vehicles, so for one i'll be happy to share as much helpful info as I can, and i'm sure the others will too.

I'm 100% confirmed, though i'll be in our Recon rather than the KL, thanks to some unfortunate circumstances.

@gravitywell, just go ahead and admit you'll be there :)

Reactions: gravitywell
#54 ·
If anything it might actually be easier with wet sand, rather than dry. Tends to pack in easier, and as long as you don't gun it, shouldn't be an issue. I've been on the beach quite a few times in different vehicles, so for one i'll be happy to share as much helpful info as I can, and i'm sure the others will too.

I'm 100% confirmed, though i'll be in our Recon rather than the KL, thanks to some unfortunate circumstances.

@gravitywell, just go ahead and admit you'll be there :)
I'll be there. :)

#56 ·
I've been watching the weather like a hawk, and it seems that the rain schedule keeps moving earlier, which is good. it has gone from a 90% chance to a 60% chance, and most of it early. we might be able to hit a nice spot where it doesn't rain, or is simply raining off the coast. either way, i don't think it will be bad enough that any of us will regret the trip, and as a bonus, there shouldn't be anyone else out on the beach.

#58 ·
Sorry for the late response guys...trip this weekend?

#60 ·
Looks like we might be in the clear, fellas. Chance of rain continues to drop. It'll be cold, so dress warmly, but we may have dodged the rain bullet. It gets colder than you think on the beach with nothing to break up the wind, and we'll be getting out a few times for pictures and such.

#61 ·
I hope yours is more accurate. The local TV station is predicting over 0.70" inches of rain tomorrow ( WBOC TV Weather ). Though they are not breaking it down by the hour. The majority of their predicted rain could be during night hours???

Text Yellow Font Icon Logo

#62 ·
yes, i'm looking at the hourly forecast. it looks like the weather will be much worse later in the day, which is what we wanted to happen. we should be there during a relatively calm moment in whatever storm is hitting the coast.

#65 ·
Looks good from my forecast app too. It's not an exact science of course but I'm sure we will be fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#66 ·
A few pictures of the group. I'm sorting through video now and will update when that is ready. All in all and awesome trip :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#67 ·
We had a blast today, and the weather turned out better than any of us could have hoped for. Not a drop of rain, and the sun even came out on our way back. It was great meeting new people, and I look forward to doing this again in the future. We got some great pictures by a photographer who came with me and some videos taken at a very..."interesting" angle, to say the least!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.