2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

Jeep not turning off.

962 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  DenGas144 
#1 ·
Last night I reached out to the Tapatalk chat section for some help. I'll fill you in.

After parking a little too close to the curb, I took my jeep out of park and let it roll back slightly. Put it back into park. Tried to turn it off and a warning came up telling me to shift into Park. You can understand my confusion cause I was in park! Nothing I did allowed me to turn off the jeep. Moved shifter in and out of park numerous times. After waiting 15-20 mins I tried again and magically it finally turned off. Any ideas? Does my shifter need fixing? I've had many months with no issues but sadly they have re-surfaced.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#2 ·
Would deff have them check it out, mine would not switch into ERS mode, they replaceed shifter and works fine now.

Reactions: DenGas144
#3 ·
In the future, press and hold the start button (if you have one) for I think 20-30 seconds and it'll force the vehicle to shutoff. It's a built in safety feature. Made the mistake of doing it once while driving to reset the jeep and couldn't get it started again until I came to a complete stop.

I would take it as a glitch and keep going. Sadly, if you take it to the dealer they have to replicate the problem. So, until it becomes a regular thing I wouldn't worry about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Duke2015 and SkipW
#4 ·
In the future, press and hold the start button (if you have one) for I think 20-30 seconds and it'll force the vehicle to shutoff. It's a built in safety feature. Made the mistake of doing once while driving to reset the jeep and couldn't get it started again until I came to a complete stop.

I would take it as a glitch and keep going. Sadly, if you take it to the dealer they have to replicate the problem. So, until it becomes a regular thing I wouldn't worry about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, again, Len. I held that **** button for a while.. maybe not 30 seconds tho. This isn't the first time I've run into this problem.. I'm going to try and replicate it and take a video for the dealer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.