2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

Thoughts on these tires I'm considering?

5K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  SS_Syndicate 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm shopping for tires, planning on buying a set of all-terrains in the next week or two. I don't really know squat about tires, other than what I've just learned in the past few hours. I've never owned a 4x4 vehicle and done much off-pavement driving, either, so I've always just bought whatever on-road tires the tire shop recommended. This will be my first set of tires I've purchased since I bought my (used) Latitude last summer, and this time, I'd like to make a more informed decision. I'll likely be purchasing these tires online, from either tirerack.com or simpletire.com

99+% of my driving is on pavement in either dry or rainy conditions. It doesn't snow in my immediate area (Northern California), but I occasionally visit a few places up in the mountains that may have snow in the winter. I also try to go camping at least a few times a year, and I like to find some relatively remote places to camp. (Dirt roads tend to keep the crowds out, and I actually like to enjoy the peace, quiet and solitude nature provides, without a bunch of obnoxious college kids getting belligerent and blasting shitty music. Fuqk me, right?) My in-laws just got a little place <5 minutes from the Tahoe National Forest border, so I'm really hoping to get out and explore that area this summer. So while these tires will live a mostly domesticated life, they need to be able to perform when it's their time to shine. I won't be doing any real heavy-duty off-roading, mostly just the average un-maintained, rural dirt road type stuff. I like an aggressive look, although aggressive performance is much more important. I've narrowed it down to a few choices. What are your guys' thoughts on these tires I'm looking at?

Cooper Discoverer A/T3 (these come with a rebate from Cooper in the form of a $70 Visa gift card)
Toyo Open Country A/T II
Yokohama Geolandar G015
Kumho Road Venture AT51

I've heard a lot of great things about the BF Goodrich KO2, but it's about $15-30 per tire more than any of these others. Is it worth the difference?

Another thing I'd like your opinion on is tire size. Currently I have the stock Firestone Destinations in 225/65/17. Though around the forum I'm noticing a lot of people are running larger tires. Would I benefit much from jumping up to say, a 245/70/17? With those tires I referenced, the price difference is about an extra $5-10 per tire. Why should or shouldn't I spend an extra $20-40 to go a little bigger?

225 * .65 = 146.25
245 * .70 = 171.50

I understand the mathematics of it, but how do those numbers translate into real-world performance? Or affect other considerations, such as speedometer calibration?

Thanks in advance for any insight you guys can give!

See less See more
#2 ·
Just for some clarification, do you have the Trailhawk trim, or one of the other ones? I only ask because you mention you have the Firestone Desti's, and those are standard on the Trailhawk trim, which is also a wider tire than the other trims at 245/65/17. Do you have the FS Desti's on a non-Trailhawk model currently, which would be that 225/65/17 tire size you're mentioning?

#4 ·
He did mention Latitude in the post. My Latitude also came with Firestone Desti's : the difference is the TH has the A/T variety in 245 and Latitudes get the LE2 variety in 225.

To @RhinosGoMoo : I'll let others who know answer this, but I'm not sure 245/70/17 fit on a non lifted AD1 Latitude (or AD1 Sport) without rubbing. Do you have AD1 or AD2 ? If unsure, AD2 has a Neutral and 4Lo on the SelecTerrain knob while AD1 does not.

#3 ·
To the best of my knowledge there is no way to adjust the speedometer for the KL yet. The dealer can do it but only for "stock" sizes. The TH 245/65r17 should be a selection for them to use, but I really don't know.

Having said that, the amount the speedometer off isn't something I have been to concerned with. We run a 265/65r17 (31x10.50) on the four corners and keep a 245/70r17 that is the same height but fits in the factory spare location for the spare. Our speedo is off 3mph at 70.

Most ATs will give you fine road manners while offering a little more traction and toughness for the dirt. I personally would only look at the Coopers in your list. We have been really happy with Goodyear tires but they run more than what you are looking at. BFGs are also hard to beat but they too will run more.

As for the increased sizes.... I think it's 90% about looks and 10% function. The added ground clearance they are gaining really isn't enough to make a huge difference on the trail. There are times where that little bit can be all the difference, but it really isn't that often.

#11 · (Edited)
To the best of my knowledge there is no way to adjust the speedometer for the KL yet. The dealer can do it but only for "stock" sizes. The TH 245/65r17 should be a selection for them to use, but I really don't know.

Having said that, the amount the speedometer off isn't something I have been to concerned with. We run a 265/65r17 (31x10.50) on the four corners and keep a 245/70r17 that is the same height but fits in the factory spare location for the spare. Our speedo is off 3mph at 70.

Most ATs will give you fine road manners while offering a little more traction and toughness for the dirt. I personally would only look at the Coopers in your list. We have been really happy with Goodyear tires but they run more than what you are looking at. BFGs are also hard to beat but they too will run more.

As for the increased sizes.... I think it's 90% about looks and 10% function. The added ground clearance they are gaining really isn't enough to make a huge difference on the trail. There are times where that little bit can be all the difference, but it really isn't that often.

I have a 2015 Latitude ADII, and AS OF December 2016 i put 245/65R17 Kumho Roadventure AT51's on which is the factory size for the Trailhawk and the dealer found out they cannot program a 2015 for any tire size except the size it comes with even if it is an option on another package. They opened a Star case and got this info directly from FCA, only 2014's could be programed for other factory sizes AT THAT TIME. so check with the Dealer first if you want your speedo 100% accurate. The Dealer actually used a GPS to check my Speedo and found the percentage it was off was Insignificant and would not affect me for warranty issues especially since it was a factory size for my vehicle and they put this in writing so i didnt have to worry about my LIFETIME warranty.
I am Happy with the Kumho AT51's, i Live in northern Michigan and they have been alot better in Snow, Mud , Sandy and Gravel Roads then the Destination all seasons. They are even better on ice which we had alot of this year, but no tires alone can make Ice completely safe. If you are going to go offroad with lots of big sharp rocks they may not be a good choice because the sidewalls arent real thick and could get cut, i dont have to worry about that in the areas i go offroad or just drive daily. Hope that give some useful info and have fun with your Cherokee.
Sorry somehow it added the Quote twice.

#6 ·
Something else to consider. This size, 245/70r17, is the largest size that fits into the rear storage compartment, if that is a preference you have.

Reactions: SS_Syndicate
#10 ·
Thanks. And like I said before, I haven't tried, but I think the biggest you can go on a non lifted AD1 is stock TH size (245/65/17). Going with 245/70 that is one full inch higher than 245/65 and 2 inches taller than 225/65 may be a problem, without a lift...

#12 ·
I bought the kumo at's 245/65/17 for my fwd sport.
They fit before I lifted it, and now are totally fine. I'm in the Phoenix AZ area, and do mostly (98%) road driving. These tires were a great deal.

Lastly, I thought 225/ 60 /17 was the standard tire, with 245/ 65 /17 the trail hawk tire.

#13 ·
I bought the kumo at's 245/65/17 for my fwd sport.
They fit before I lifted it, and now are totally fine. I'm in the Phoenix AZ area, and do mostly (98%) road driving. These tires were a great deal.

Lastly, I thought 225/ 60 /17 was the standard tire, with 245/ 65 /17 the trail hawk tire.
225/60/17 is standard for front wheel drive.
225/65/17 is standard for AD1/AD2 Sport and Latitude
Altitude/Limited/Overland have 225/60/18s I believe (FWD get 225/55/18)
And of course TH gets 245/65/17

#16 ·
My 97 grand Cherokee limited had the 3.8 straight 6, and rwd.
Aside from the snide remarks, I'm pretty happy with my 3.2 fwd Cherokee sport after installing the budget boost, and 245 65 17 at tires.
before the lift and tires, I had no problem taking my family to flagstaff az for my daughters first Christmas and first snow.
Just because it isn't 4x4 doesn't mean great memories won't be made, or that it isn't a jeep.

Attachments

#18 ·
Sorry, I wasnt trying to offend anyone,just trying to kidd around. Since Willys made the first Jeep or GP ( General Purpose ) vehicle for the Military in WW2 it was a 4 wheel drive vehicle and living in Northern Michigan 99.9% of the people will not opt for a 2 wheel drive version. I have one Friend who has only bought the top of the line Trailrated Jeeps even though she has only gone offroad a couple times. She just has too much money to spend especially when i took my NON trailrated 4x4 Patriot through tougher stuff then she ever wanted to Take her Rubicon Wrangler through. We are the Target Demographic for 4x4 vehicles with all the snow and lots of muddy trails to ride on, our road we live on isnt paved and sometimes doesnt get plowed right away and we get muddy times too. Glad that you enjoy your Jeep and will keep having good memories in it. And remember you get better Mileage then I do with the 4x4.

#19 ·
Thanks for everyone's input on this. I've decided to go with the Cooper Discoverer A/T3 in 245/65/17. I would have picked this tire even without the $70 Visa gift card rebate, but it's a nice bonus. Gonna use that money and buy myself a HazzardSky lift kit! I read up on it all night at work last night, and the more I read, the more convinced I was that I need this in my life! Will post pics when I get the new tires put on, and again when I install the lift.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

#20 ·
Thanks for everyone's input on this. I've decided to go with the Cooper Discoverer A/T3 in 245/65/17. I would have picked this tire even without the $70 Visa gift card rebate, but it's a nice bonus. Gonna use that money and buy myself a HazzardSky lift kit! I read up on it all night at work last night, and the more I read, the more convinced I was that I need this in my life! Will post pics when I get the new tires put on, and again when I install the lift.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk
Cool cant wait to see the pics, i never looked at the Coopers, looked at the BFG TKOs but didnt want to add all the weight to my Vehicles drivetrain and really dont need it for where i drive it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.