2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

Hesitation when accelerating

96K views 81 replies 31 participants last post by  AZJeeper 
#1 ·
I have been experiencing hesitation when accelerating, when you start to accelerate the car hesitates as the rpms rev up then the car finally kicks into gear. It usually happens when coming to a short/not full stop, which is frequent in the city. I have almost gotten into an accident three times because of it. This has been happening since I last took it in to the shop in late 2015 (was purchased in Nov 2013). Is there a fix for this? Should I take it in? I am a bit nervous since I have had really bad experience with their service in the past.

#2 ·
how many miles do you have ? my 16 started doing it.. ran some fuel system cleaner through it 3 times and hasnt done it since ..im at 21,000miles also changed my air filter to KN..when was the last tie you had your tranny flashed?? many new updates out there.ive had 3 updates since last july..last one was for low gear lag and down shifting..

#3 ·
Actually the only time that has happened to me was during my AL period. It happened between 1/2 but not all the time . That was directly related to my AL.
The issue you are having I am willing to bet is the loss of 2nd gear on the down shift. The Cherokee will stay in 3rd gear till you come to a complete stop.
If you try to accererate you will be doing so from 3rd gear and not 2nd or 1st. That will likely give you a jerk and higher rpms to force the downshift or give you the power.
If you look back at your service record from that service visit you may see a TCM/PCM update.
Also @rski has a good point to check for that update he is refering to.
I have no 2nd on downshift with my 2014.
But I do find that if I get into a almost stop situation and try to accererate there will be a lag as the forced downshift or the rpm increase enough to get you going. That lag is amplified even more if I am towing my boat.
I have learned to avoid that situation as much as possible, especially while towing.

Reactions: yodog
#5 ·
if you haven't been flashed since 2015 you are missing important tranny updates...

#8 ·
This just happened to me... annoying as ****. @rumrunner is right, though. If I'm not in a hurry and come to a complete stop, it doesn't happen. The thing that irks me the most is the jolt between 2-3 and 3-4. I've got all the updates and it still does that. Grrrrrrr

Reactions: cnassar3@gmail.com
#10 ·
Mine seems to be more of a tranny thing than an engine thing. The rpms spin up but nothing happens for about 3 seconds, then BOOM!

Reactions: dhh3
#12 ·
My 2015 TH has done that for all 73K miles with no changes regardless of updates. I know a couple of times that it almost got me killed, I'm pretty sure the ESS was kicking in when I went from brake to gas, but it's definitely been the tranny most of the time - just not ready when I am. I've gotten used to it.

In the event that I really have to hit a gap in oncoming traffic, I've had good success just flooring it (which does, in fact, almost red line the tach), spinning a little, and then accelerating to speed before anyone catches up with me.

Shouldn't have to do that, though.

-Rob

#14 ·
3-2-1 downshift

I think Jeepster1 is correct. This is likely not an engine hesitation problem, but rather a transmission downshift problem. Check out the other transmission forums for lots more info. Jeep changed the software to skip 2nd gear on downshift due to a transmission design flaw. That's why you didn't see it until you had it in the shop and they did the software update. To test the theory, see if the problem clears up when you use snow mode, as snow mode will use 2nd gear (not 1st) for starts. You can also see what gear it is in when coming to a stop by briefly moving the shifter to manual mode. I bet it goes directly from 3rd to 1st, but only after a complete stop. My 2015 Cherokee Limited did the same thing after a transmission control module flash at about 7k miles. After numerous trips to the dealer, I opened a case with FCA and eventually (after lots more visits and phone calls) got a new transmission. The new transmission (redesigned to fix the design flaw) also allowed a newer version of software to be installed. Problem solved.

#15 ·
I think Jeepster1 is correct. This is likely not an engine hesitation problem, but rather a transmission downshift problem. Check out the other transmission forums for lots more info. Jeep changed the software to skip 2nd gear on downshift due to a transmission design flaw. That's why you didn't see it until you had it in the shop and they did the software update. To test the theory, see if the problem clears up when you use snow mode, as snow mode will use 2nd gear (not 1st) for starts. You can also see what gear it is in when coming to a stop by briefly moving the shifter to manual mode. I bet it goes directly from 3rd to 1st, but only after a complete stop. My 2015 Cherokee Limited did the same thing after a transmission control module flash at about 7k miles. After numerous trips to the dealer, I opened a case with FCA and eventually (after lots more visits and phone calls) got a new transmission. The new transmission (redesigned to fix the design flaw) also allowed a newer version of software to be installed. Problem solved.
You are correct, I have been using snow-mode for the past 4 months and didn't notice this issue until last week when it got into the 50's and the snow melted, thus putting the KL into Auto.

#19 ·
Mine also does this, and I've simply learned to feather the throttle to the point where I don't get that bothered by it, but it does sometimes become a bit annoying, especially around town. I figured since I still my powertrain warranty, I can get it taken care of between now, and 2019 or within the next 42k miles.

If it becomes much more annoying to the point where I cannot stand it, and/or the transmission begins to fail, then I'll hope to get a new transmission, and take it in. If I have to take Badger in for something else though down the way, I'll bring up the lag/hesitation situation.

#20 ·
Hook up an OBD2 code reader and see if you get P0810. I did. The jeep gave me no warning but it has an error code. Clutch position module which is definitely crucial to the transmission. I took it in to the dealer and they confirmed it but said it wasn't a driveability issue. I have an appointment for May 3rd to fix it.

#23 ·
I'll be curious to see what they actually do and if it resolves the issue. I haven't taken mine in because it'a not super easy to reproduce, but I'll check fo this code.

Thanks!

#22 ·
Well, I bought mine in November 2013, so I guess I am screwed. I just got it back from the shop today and they said they did two flashes... but I haven't driven it enough to see if there is any difference in the hesitation. Those of you that got new transmissions, how difficult was the process? I would really prefer to avoid a long drawn out process of 10+ visits to the dealer in order to actually get it fixed. It seems like Chrysler is not really jumping to replace them unless you put in a lot of effort and complaints. Honestly, aside from the hesitation and my crappy mpg I really love the vehicle, I just worry about safety at the moment with a kid in the back. I will update once I get a chance to drive it a bit more.

#24 ·
I got my Jeep back from the shop on Friday. I have been monitoring the downshifts and acceleration since then. It is definitely skipping second gear when decelerating, and the hesitation is still there, so no changes at all in the hesitation. It bucked pretty hard this morning when leaving for work. So what should I do now? Take it back to the shop or should I be opening a case with chrysler?

#25 ·
2016 Latitude FWD V6 18k miles

This transmission issue happened to my daughter last night after taking off from a stop sign. My daughter saw some dash lights turn on but doesn't know for sure if it was a CEL. The CEL was off when I took the Jeep to the dealer, I'm hoping they could still diagnose and fix. Jeep has a cold air intake and runs on top tier gas.

The hesitation always occurs after coming out from a reverse.

#27 ·
My experience is that is you slow down your vehicle to a crawling speed (but not completely stop), and then try to accelerate. If you accelerate with a light pedal, then it will stay in 3rd gear and speed up smoothly. But if you really press down on the gas, then it will try to downshift to the 2nd, and that's when the hesitation occurred.

#28 ·
Can I register my car to see if it has the proper flashes, like the GM site?

My 15 TH is doing it, but I'd like to know if its something I really need to worry about.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

#29 ·
Just came back from local dealer.

They said they wouldn't be able to look at it for a day and I wouldn't get it back until maybe Monday. WTH!

They are going to do the multipoint inspection...for free, but the sticker recall is something they are going to send to my house. Wow...I guess this is what happens when you buy domestic...house recall service.

Anybody else have the same issue getting their trans looked at?

#30 ·
I took mine in 3 months after owning it. They thought I was crazy and making the whole thing up. I was actually surprised as they know these Jeeps have transmission issues. Claimed it drives like any other Jeep. I feel like a$$ when I pull out in traffic and the car will not go. Wife tells me... "you have to press the gas".

Still now it happens every now and then... usually at the most inopportune times. I almost got in an accident when I had cut in front of a car... more than enough time make it but the jeep just stalled during the turn. Was so angry I gassed it like crazy and found out we have a blinker on warning.

#33 ·
Came here just for this problem. I have a brand new 2019 Latitude plus. 1223 miles. It's almost caused a few accidents. I have full warranty. Anything I can do or is this just a "feature" as the stupid guy at dealership just told me. Anything I can tell them so they take me seriously.

#35 ·
Have a 21 TH same issue.... people are crazy, I try to get out of way and have no power for 3 seconds then, 💥 boom. By the time I’m already past the danger. Had this thing for three months and hate it. Dealer tells me there’s nothing wrong though they had to flash it 6 times because it kept failing part way through.

#43 ·
They all say the same thing. For the first few years they tried to blame my driving style. Now my current shop who I’ve had the most luck with just openly admits it’s an issue with the system and they have no idea how to fix it. It’s not the fuel filter which was something they replaced early on. It’s way out of warranty at this point and not anything I’m willing to throw money at. I just know what I can and can’t do with it now. Frustrating to say the least.

#46 · (Edited)
We get a lot of "failed to get the final answer" Posts.
Try to state your specific situation. If you have lots of miles it could be spark plugs or even cam shaft follower bearings.
Sometimes 100K mile plugs don't make it.
Let us know which engine you have and any significant repairs.
Your dealer should check for Recalls and any applicable TSBs and print a VIP report.
Some 2016 Cherokees have a Recall for the PTU.
Check in your engine compartment and see if rodents have done any damage.
Check for engine codes and get the battery "health" checked.
Make sure the engine air filter is fairly clean and the hose going into the air box hasn't broken off.
There are lots of useful Posts on this Forum, use "Search Community" above and see if there is anything helpful.
Recommended Reading below tries to show useful Posts.
If you have ever topped up the fuel when you buy gas there is likely an evap problem.

#47 ·
Thank you. I wasn't sure if it made more sense to start a new thread or respond to this one, as my experience is so similar to the original post.

2016 Limited
Engine: 3.2-Liter V6 24-Valve VVT Engine w/Elect Stop Start
Miles: 110K

The Jeep was my primary vehicle for 5 years, and until this past summer, I had no issues. Like others have described, randomly after rolling stops, the Jeep will not accelerate for 2-3 seconds, and then suddenly engage and lurch forward. The RPMs rev, but it's like the message isn't getting through to the right parts. It's probably pretty obvious by this post, but I'm not mechanically inclined, so it's been a challenge communicating with mechanics on a fix.

I've brought it to my local dealer who couldn't find anything wrong and I brought it to an independent mechanic who kept it for several days, drove it around, and couldn't replicate the issue. It's the randomness of it that's the biggest challenge. It usually happens weeks apart. Yesterday, a third dealer told me that it sounds like everything is working properly, so obviously, I'm not getting the message through that at any time if I'm not careful, this problem could get me killed.

I've got one more Jeep dealer in the area that I'd like to try, but I want to be able to give them something specific to work with so I'm scouring these forums to find some suggestions. Thanks in advance. I appreciate it.