2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

We survived Rausch Creek

3K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  Rojhan 
#1 ·
We've tried multiple times to schedule Rausch Creek and it just didn't work out. This time we managed to get the stars to align and got a private 101 course for MrsRojhan to give her the confidence to do some trail rides and not, "OMG! We're all gonna die!" as a passenger.

She drove. I survived. :)

More seriously, she did great, and her guide/trainer, Penny did an AWESOME job. It got to the point where I trusted Penny to give directions while I was outside the vehicle taking photos (yes, that's a compliment. :)). I need to rig something up so I can take video and still photo at the same time.

There was only one hill we couldn't climb (it was raining and slick). We originally tried to let hill ascent do the job, but it wasn't up to it... Got about 3/4 up. I then gave it two tries with and without ERS and giving it a good head start and a lot of gas. That made it to "oh, SO close.". However, KO2s are going to be on our shopping list sooner, rather than later. That hill WILL be beaten. :)

Both the sliders and the skid plates got a workout. There were a couple of cringe-worthy spots and one that would have definitely caused some body damage without the sliders.

I'll be posting up more in a bit, but we decided to start off slow. Instead of 4-wheeling, she went 3-wheeling first:

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Very cool! Sounds like a lot of fun.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

#5 · (Edited)

Attachments

#7 ·
Driver skill, knowledge, and ability are always some of the most important aspects of off-roading!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Reactions: sgrim and Rojhan
#9 ·
Great pics! Sounds like fun!

#10 ·
The hill that thwarted us has become a personal affront to MrsRojhan, so the KO2s are on order early....

Anybody local interested in some stock Destinations with about 9/32 left? I need to re-measure them.

#11 ·
@ Rojan , It doesn't look like you are aired down much... I've found that to be the single biggest improvement to a vehicles off road capability. You might want to try that next time you are out (provided I am right). RC is a good place to do this since they have a really nice air-up station.

#12 ·
This trip was for MrsRojhan, not me. :) The guide wanted us to stay fully inflated for the first half the the trip. The 2nd half, I dropped down to 18.

I am impressed with RC, though.

#13 ·
She still cleans up nice.
MrsRojhan nudged a small tree out of the way on the passenger/front, but it was almost entirely on the plastic and you have to look for the scar.

Attachments

Reactions: sgrim
#14 ·
It's hard to see in the pics, but there was at least one real hit there. The marks are actual gouges in the sliders, not just scrape marks.

Attachments

#15 ·
Rausch according to telemetry:
10 Braking (harsh decelleration) events
175 harsh cornering events
29 Excessive acceleration (those hills don't climb themselves, you know)
550 heading changes.

Full course, with a detailed section:

Attachments

Reactions: sgrim and MarinR00
#17 ·
How do you get this data?

#16 ·
This last trip I had to choose between shooting video or stills.

Choose no longer! Although, I may end up using a different video camera. The one I tested with is too wide-angle.

Attachments

#19 ·
Not enough flexibility (zoom, primarily) or quality (lens/sensor), so another do-over:

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.