2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

Why do you keep in your cubbies?

12K views 32 replies 28 participants last post by  Mark_ 
#1 ·
Yes, this has been a thread topic before. Thought I'd bring it up again. What does everyone keep in the pop-up bin on the dash and the passenger seat hide a bin? I'm not a gun owner but I feel that seat bin is the perfect spot to conceal a pistol.

What do you guys use those spaces for?

#3 ·
The top of dash one has the garage door remote (We don't get the inbuilt option) plus the toll way etoll thingy normally stuck to the windscreen, plus the keys for the locking pin on the hitch. Roof one sunnies of course, below headlights I have loose change for the ferry and a tin of Eclipse mints. Under the passenger seat is an old hand towel and a first aid kit.

Sent via Tapatalk from a small keyboard on my phone with fat thumbs and no glasses...

#10 ·
This and an umbrella.

Reactions: sgrim
#8 ·
In the top dash I keep my insurance and ownership as well as my roadside assistance cards.
Change cubby under light switch nothing. Forget its even there.
Armrest I keep my charger for phone, Spare GPS with charger and a small flashlight. Most importantly though is my hard drive with all my music plugged into the USB port. Gotta have my music.

#14 ·
I have sunglasses in the sunglass holder on the ceiling. I have a little flashlight in the little drawer by the headlight switch, left knee. I keep a GoPro in the cubby on the dashboard. In the underseat front passenger storage compartment, I keep the cargo basket "feet" to my roof basket, as well as the cargo basket clamps. I also carry various ditty bags for hiking, camping in there, as well as some other sundry items like parachute cord, extra red piping for the trim job I did on the doors, dashboard. In the rear spare tire compartment, I carry a hatchet, rope, climbing harness, carabineers.

#16 ·
When there is a open field waiting for a Retriever, a Chuckit stored in the Jeep Rack Cargo cubby for my Black Lab.

#19 ·
  • sunglasses in the overhead bin (I don't notice any noise from them up there)
  • front center bin
    • sunglasses (second pair)
    • spare micro sd cards
    • micro sd to USB reader
  • some keys in bin under headlight switch
  • center console
    • insurance, ownership, roadside assistance cards
    • micro USB, lightning, and 30 pin apple charge cables
    • pen
    • EDC pouch with
      • knife
      • flashlight
      • prybar
      • fire steel
      • lighter
      • pen
      • paper
      • sharpie
      • small chemlight
      • some bandaids
      • zip ties
    • small magnetic flashing light
    • some small change
    • gum
    • USB stick plugged in for music
  • umbrella in passenger door pocket
  • flashlight in driver door pocket
  • glove compartment
    • first aid kit
    • crank powered flashlight
    • manuals
  • Drivers seatback pouch
    • folding hat
    • pirate flag (because why not)
  • spare tire area
    • jumper cables
    • Maglight
    • touque and light winter gloves in Hi-Vis
    • Hi-Vis vest
    • ductape
    • box of nitrile gloves
    • zipties
    • windshield and wiper covers for ice
    • small ice scraper
  • little cubbie in cargo area
    • mechanix gloves
    • Jeep shopping bag
No under passenger seat storage here.

That's just what I can think of off the top of my head without going out to the Jeep. Sorry for the long post, but, you asked:wink:

#20 ·
Prescription sunglasses in the sunglass holder. I've never heard a rattle from them either. The dash cubby has non-prescription sunglasses and a glasses cleaning cloth. Under the passenger seat cushion, I have an umbrella, micro fiber cleaning cloth and some ozium spray. In the little cubby underneath the headlight switch, I keep my ID badge for work, because sometimes the RFID tag on the windshield doesn't open the gate and I need to retrieve my badge quickly as a secondary means of entry. The center console has two little bottles of hand sanitizer, an iPod plugged into the USB port, a small notepad and pen, and some napkins. The glove box has the owners manual, some peanut butter crackers (we picked them up on a road trip and I keep forgetting they're in there. Ha!) and some other paper stuff (maps, etc). The little net thingy next to the passenger's left knee holds my wife's iPod that we sometimes plug into the front USB port on road trips.

#23 ·
Off the top of my head, here's what I keep in my respective storage bins:

dash bin:
notepad
parking permit

center console bin:
gloves
tape measure
markers
flashlight
thermometer

side bin below headlight switch:
business cards

underseat storage:
heavier pair of gloves
facemask

sunglasses bin:
sunglasses (what else?)

net on passenger side:
earplugs
keys for hitch lock

small bin next to cupholders:
pen/pencil

bin next to selec-terrain knob:
costco card (quite handy)
iPod

Cargo space in back (not exactly a cubby, so technically cheating, but...):
Rubber boots
jug of washer fluid
boot brush (for getting mud off)
2ft level
Measuring wheel
winter high vis jacket
strobe light (when not in use)
couple extra pairs of gloves
high vis pants, and extra high vis vests
off-road accessory kit
snow brush/scraper
pink marking spray paint
extra safety glasses
and a few other odds and ends

I'm still able to carry four extra passengers if I need to as I try to keep the rear seats, as well as the front drive seat clear of crap. My TH does have a bit of mud on the inside, so I'm going to not only get the bloody thing washed this weekend, but also clean out the interior.

#29 ·
Oh, in my dash cubby, I have 4 different latte stand coffee cards...yes, I do enjoy my coffee drinks. I also have a 3' mini-tape measure keychain.

In my center console, in the top section, I have a pen and a small stack of napkins. In the bottom, I have another pen, more napkins, a 120v USB power cube (to use from the back outlet if necessary), a 2-port USB 12v power, a tire pressure gauge, some coins in the coin holder and some tokens for our local brushless car wash.

#32 ·
The dashtop storage bin should NOT be used for sunglass storage in warmer climes. My optometrist told me that every year he has lots of new patients who tell him their prescription sunglasses no longer “work right”. When he checks them he finds they no longer match the original prescription. He then asks them if they stored the glasses in their car. Every one of them did, usually in the overhead console. In our extremely hot AZ climate (often over 115*F ambient in the sumner) I’ve measured over 140*F in the overhead console. What it is in the sun-drenched dash cubby I have no idea, but it has to be a lot hotter. The high temps apparently warp the plastic lenses used for polarized prescription sunglasses. Beware.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.