What oil do you use? - 2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums
User Tag List

 18Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Taf789's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 68
What oil do you use?

I have the v6 latitude, doing my first oil change today at 5000 miles, which is really pushing it for me. I've always lived by the 3 - 4000 mile rule, never take to shops either. Oil life gauge still says 60%, it'll take time before I end up putting that kind of trust in that technology. I know some people trust it, but that's a whole other topic.

Anyway, just curious what oil everyone uses in their cherokee.

Cheers!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

"Obviously, you're not a golfer."

- Dude

2017 Cherokee Latitude V6
Taf789 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 01:18 PM
Premium Member
 
SS_Syndicate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 482
Garage
We use Mobil 1 Extended Performance and change it at 5k miles.

I know this is going to start a MS-6395 certification debate, so I will say it isn't certified for this. To make a long story very short, I don't care about this certification and neither does my dealer.

.
Mark_ and 04Freedom like this.

SS_Syndicate is offline  
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 01:26 PM
Forum Elder
 
Mark_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Québec, Canada
Posts: 4,030
Talking Oil thread !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf789 View Post
I have the v6 latitude, doing my first oil change today at 5000 miles, which is really pushing it for me. I've always lived by the 3 - 4000 mile rule, never take to shops either. Oil life gauge still says 60%, it'll take time before I end up putting that kind of trust in that technology. I know some people trust it, but that's a whole other topic.

Anyway, just curious what oil everyone uses in their cherokee.

Cheers!
Gosh this has been discussed to death... so here goes my summary :

- V6 = 5W20 only.

- FCA *only recommends* MS-6395 specification oil. It's a recommandation, not obligatory. As long as it is API certified you should be fine. I bring this up because Mobil One, a crowd favorite, does not show MS-6395 (long story), but should be just as good as any other full syn if you choose that one over an MS-6395 specced one.

- 5W20 comes in conventional, semi and full synthetic variations. Any can go into a Pentastar.

- Price : lots of good oils out there. I like the ones on special

Edit : @SS_Syndicate beat me to the Mobil One punch :-P
SS_Syndicate likes this.

My avatar is the Elder Predator (goes well with my forum status and overall temper )
2015 North (Canada) - V6 - AD1
Cold, Tow, 8.4A, 9 speakers with sub

Last edited by Mark_; 05-01-2017 at 01:46 PM.
Mark_ is offline  
 
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Taf789's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_ View Post
Gosh this has been discussed to death... so here goes my summary :

- V6 = 5W20 only.

- FCA *only recommends* MS-6395 specification oil. It's a recommandation, not obligatory. As long as it is API certified you should be fine. I bring this up because Mobil One, a crowd favorite, does not show MS-6395 (long story), but should be just as good as any other full syn if you choose that one over an MS-6395 specced one.

- 5W20 comes in conventional, semi and full synthetic variations. Any can go into a Pentastar.

- Price : lots of good oils out there. I like the ones on special

Edit : @SS_Syndicate beat me to the Mobil One punch :-P
I went with mobile 1 ex tended performance. Got a good deal, 6 quarts with filter for 40 bucks

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

"Obviously, you're not a golfer."

- Dude

2017 Cherokee Latitude V6
Taf789 is offline  
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Taf789's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 68
I only have 47xx miles and my oil was almost black. Dash still said 60% oil life, I call bs on that. I don't know about everyone else, but I'm definitely not going off that in the future. Fyi, that's mostly highway and minimal off road.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

"Obviously, you're not a golfer."

- Dude

2017 Cherokee Latitude V6
Taf789 is offline  
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 04:01 PM
Hardcore Member
 
dhh3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Fort Wayne, Indiana
Posts: 1,333
Garage
Whatever the factory put in it, and whatever my Dealer puts in it at my first oil change!
sgrim and Mark_ like this.

2016 Cherokee Trailhawk: Mango Tango Pearl Coat over Black.
OPTIONS: Every Available Factory Option/Package Except Remote CD Player.
MODS: Whispbars; Mopar Cargo Cover; Mopar Cargo Mat; Mopar/KICKER 9 Speaker Upgrade; KICKER Sub and Amp; Ziebart Undercoating; aFe CAI.
FUTURE MODS: Remote CD Player; Mopar Rock Rails; Rear Fog Lights.
dhh3 is offline  
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 04:24 PM
Forum Elder
 
Mark_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Québec, Canada
Posts: 4,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf789 View Post
I only have 47xx miles and my oil was almost black. Dash still said 60% oil life, I call bs on that. I don't know about everyone else, but I'm definitely not going off that in the future. Fyi, that's mostly highway and minimal off road.
I've had 2 oil changes done at the dealership and I did the last one at home. All of them done with just under 5% oil life remaining (it nags at this point). I'm following my owner's manual, that's it. Oil was a bit black-er than new, a color I've seen even with a change at 3K miles with other cars, nothing unusual. I've averaged roughly 7500 miles between oil changes (cold climate up here and I do mostly small city/rural road driving).

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhh3 View Post
Whatever the factory put in it, and whatever my Dealer puts in it at my first oil change!
Jeez, I can't detect any OCD here. Shame on you
sgrim likes this.

My avatar is the Elder Predator (goes well with my forum status and overall temper )
2015 North (Canada) - V6 - AD1
Cold, Tow, 8.4A, 9 speakers with sub
Mark_ is offline  
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Taf789's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_ View Post
I've had 2 oil changes done at the dealership and I did the last one at home. All of them done with just under 5% oil life remaining (it nags at this point). I'm following my owner's manual, that's it. Oil was a bit black-er than new, a color I've seen even with a change at 3K miles with other cars, nothing unusual. I've averaged roughly 7500 miles between oil changes (cold climate up here and I do mostly small city/rural road driving).

Jeez, I can't detect any OCD here. Shame on you
Yeah no doubt it gets black-er. All I'm saying is, based off how "black" mine was, there's no way I had 60% oil life left.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

"Obviously, you're not a golfer."

- Dude

2017 Cherokee Latitude V6
Taf789 is offline  
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 06:19 PM
Hardcore Member
 
dhh3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Fort Wayne, Indiana
Posts: 1,333
Garage
With 4,500 miles in 8 months, my oil is still clear (amber) and my oil change indicator has not come on. My Service Writer suggested that I get it changed at 5,000 miles. I'll check the dipstick for color. I am just a little uneasy with all of this auto everything. I have always changed my oil every 3 to 4,000 miles.

If the oil change indicator doesn't come on before I change the oil, will the system know that the oil has been changed? Or, does the tech just reset it?

BY OCD, do you mean Oil Changed Daily?
Duke2015 likes this.

2016 Cherokee Trailhawk: Mango Tango Pearl Coat over Black.
OPTIONS: Every Available Factory Option/Package Except Remote CD Player.
MODS: Whispbars; Mopar Cargo Cover; Mopar Cargo Mat; Mopar/KICKER 9 Speaker Upgrade; KICKER Sub and Amp; Ziebart Undercoating; aFe CAI.
FUTURE MODS: Remote CD Player; Mopar Rock Rails; Rear Fog Lights.
dhh3 is offline  
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 12:19 PM
Premium Member
 
taatmk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Utah
Posts: 5,475
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhh3 View Post

If the oil change indicator doesn't come on before I change the oil, will the system know that the oil has been changed? Or, does the tech just reset it?
I use conventional oil, but may one day change to synthetic. I usually have gone with Quaker State. The oil change indicator can be changed back to zero. Both by the dealer when changed there, or by yourself if done at home.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Oil Change Reset 1.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	159002   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oil Change Reset 2.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	159010  
dhh3 likes this.

2015 Cherokee Trailhawk:
Granite Crystal, 3.2L V6, 8.4 Nav, black leather, sunroof, tow, tech, comfort/conv, no hood decal, 9 speakers, CD player, Maximum Care lifetime warranty, Mopar first aid kit, rear rubber cargo mat, Thule Aeroblade cross bars (black), Thule Rapid Aero feet, Kuat Vagabond X cargo basket, RRO rock rails with smooth covers, Mopar door sills, Raingler ceiling net, Raingler seat headrest handles, MFC aluminum lift kit, RRO winch bar and Warn M8000S winch, BFG T/A KO2s
taatmk is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the 2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



  Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Oil Blends vs. Oil Life Indicator kaysee Owners' Garage 29 09-28-2016 10:57 AM
Burning oil - why I change my own oil cobber15 Engine and Technical Discussion 21 04-15-2016 06:19 PM
Oil gedawy71 2014+ Jeep Cherokee General Discussion 24 01-14-2016 02:30 PM
oil teo 2014+ Jeep Cherokee General Discussion 8 11-28-2015 04:01 PM
5W-30 oil? shotgunner Engine and Technical Discussion 4 04-23-2014 10:37 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On