2014 jeep cherokee-advice and encouragement needed - 2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums
User Tag List

 2Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 2
2014 jeep cherokee-advice and encouragement needed

So, I bought a sport on 9/2/14. On 10/2, engine revved and wouldnt go into gear and it was towed to the shop and pcm replaced. Two weeks later, same problem and towed to the shop.

The dealer hooked it up to computer the next day and said it was running fine. I protested that everything was not fine, but they told me to come and pick it up.

I drove the 30 miles to the dealership, turned in my rental car and waited for them to bring my car to me. Service manager came out and told me car wouldn't go into gear and was not going anywhere.

Back to enterprise I went and drove home in anotherbrental and without my two month old jeep.

Yesterday, after replacing the pcm (again) and alternator, I drove the 30 miles to pick up my jeep. I got a call from the dealer telling me car won't program and needs more work.

Today, I got a call from the service department telling me they are replacing the transmission wiring harness and that part won't be in until Friday.

So, far it has spent 21 days in the shop and I have owned it for just over two months. I want to yell at someone, but there's no one to yell at.

I am not car savvy. I bought it because I just moved to the mountains where I need a 4 wheel drive. I'm lucky I haven't had any snow storms yet since my rental is not awd/4wd.

Can anyone here help? Do I talk to Chrysler corp. Or wait to see if I have a lemon law claim?
hhjjeenn is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-07-2014, 08:28 AM
Enthusiast Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 475
I feel your frustration, but in my experience contacting Chrysler at this point will be a waste of time. All they will do is refer you back to the dealer to get your truck repaired. Hopefully the outcome will be that your truck is permanently repaired. In case it is not, meantime you should familiarize yourself with the lemon laws in your state as you'll want to move swiftly. Once Chrysler sees that you have commenced a lemon law action, you will see them pay a lot more attention to you. At least they have provided you with transportation in the meantime. They are not not obligated to do so. If you feel you need a four-wheel-drive replacement vehicle immediately, tell the dealer you want them to provide you with one. Such a shame that these transmission problems continue to go on and on after all this time. I own a TH that was built in November 2013, and I long assumed that my ongoing transmission problems had to do with the fact that my truck was one of the first ones built. Now I am not so sure. Hopefully they will get your transmission repaired once and for all, and you can move on with enjoying your Cherokee.
Cherokeedude59 is offline  
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-07-2014, 08:43 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 575
Contact Chrysler......tell them what has happened and that you are looking into lemon laws...

BTW...welcome to the Cherokee Transmission club
wwoods is offline  
 
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-08-2014, 10:16 AM
Enthusiast Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 475
Just curious, what did you end up doing?
Cherokeedude59 is offline  
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-08-2014, 10:45 AM
Forum Elder
 
scarpi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 1,735
Garage
I would give the dealer a chance to fix it. When you get it back, if the problem recurs, then I would look into the requirements for lemon law in your state. I think 30 days out of service might qualify for a lemon law case if the problem is not repaired.

2014 Cherokee Latitude 4x4
3.2L V6, Active Drive II
Off Road Suspension
Billet Silver
Morocco Black interior
Comfort/Convenience group, power lift gate,
keyless ignition, power driver seat, Uconnect 8.4A
scarpi is offline  
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-08-2014, 11:01 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: NW Georgia ( Dalton/Calhoun)
Posts: 1,780
^^^^^^He's got that right! 30 day's....Once you cross the threshold of of 3 weeks (21) day's and they are going to have it another week then you have met the requirements. Call them up on Monday and tell them you either hear from there Legal Level 2 & ISG which is the 3rd party for replacement vehicles or Lemon Law here you go. PERIOD!!!!
GAMTNMANN is offline  
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-09-2014, 07:32 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 65
call call call...

Just keep calling customer service till you get a replacement or money back. don't say anything about lemon law that is what lemon law told me to do. first try to get them chrysler to do what they should before you go to lemon. i have picked out my new replacement and dealership will be sending paper work to impartial services who are the 3rd party who works on chrysler behalf.
keep calling numbers you get as you go onward. i have been the one to initiate getting the replacement my dealership is only a middle man with a lift / tools and the profit from our vehicle purchases.

Last edited by RiverHawk; 11-09-2014 at 07:42 AM.
RiverHawk is offline  
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-09-2014, 07:43 AM
Enthusiast Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverHawk View Post
don't say anything about lemon law that is what lemon law told me to do.
Are you saying the lemon law in your state advised you not to mention anything to Chrysler about potentially filing a lemon law claim? My experience was the opposite. I saw no meaningful action until I sent the "last chance to repair" letter that is required here in New Jersey. Of course every state seems to be a bit different.
Cherokeedude59 is offline  
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-09-2014, 07:49 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherokeedude59 View Post
Are you saying the lemon law in your state advised you not to mention anything to Chrysler about potentially filing a lemon law claim? My experience was the opposite. I saw no meaningful action until I sent the "last chance to repair" letter that is required here in New Jersey. Of course every state seems to be a bit different.
Yes that is what I was told. if you were advised to do something different do it. just keep the pressure on till you get what you payed for. but by all means be kind to who you talk to but firm. try to keep your cool as the process goes forward. it took a lot for me not to lose it with everyone concerned.

Last edited by RiverHawk; 11-09-2014 at 07:53 AM.
RiverHawk is offline  
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-09-2014, 12:02 PM
Enthusiast Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhjjeenn View Post
So, I bought a sport on 9/2/14. On 10/2, engine revved and wouldnt go into gear and it was towed to the shop and pcm replaced. Two weeks later, same problem and towed to the shop.

The dealer hooked it up to computer the next day and said it was running fine. I protested that everything was not fine, but they told me to come and pick it up.

I drove the 30 miles to the dealership, turned in my rental car and waited for them to bring my car to me. Service manager came out and told me car wouldn't go into gear and was not going anywhere.

Back to enterprise I went and drove home in anotherbrental and without my two month old jeep.

Yesterday, after replacing the pcm (again) and alternator, I drove the 30 miles to pick up my jeep. I got a call from the dealer telling me car won't program and needs more work.

Today, I got a call from the service department telling me they are replacing the transmission wiring harness and that part won't be in until Friday.

So, far it has spent 21 days in the shop and I have owned it for just over two months. I want to yell at someone, but there's no one to yell at.

I am not car savvy. I bought it because I just moved to the mountains where I need a 4 wheel drive. I'm lucky I haven't had any snow storms yet since my rental is not awd/4wd.

Can anyone here help? Do I talk to Chrysler corp. Or wait to see if I have a lemon law claim?

You have passed the Lemon Law threshold. Your owner's manual packet is required by federal law to have your state Lemon Law information. Go online to your state government website (typically Attorney General Consumer's Division) check your rights. Notify Chrysler of your intent. They typically have 1 final repair attempt. Let them, but keep up the pressure.

When you're burning through PCMs, replacing wiring harnesses, and having reprogramming issues, it's time to kiss this one good-bye. I don't give a hoot what encouragement anyone on this forum gives you to go with the flow/get it fixed/yada, yada, yada....etc.

I have a friend who had the main wiring harness get pinched during the assembly process. They went through electrical systems and elements like crazy. The harness pinch caused it to ground and short. The dealer was at least honest with him that a fix was stupid because systems throughout the vehicle were likely to fail over time.

Dump this turkey and get either another Cherokee or if they hassle you, something else from a more reputable dealer and manufacturer. FYI, out state AG office thinks Chrysler is the jerk of the auto industry followed closely by GM when it comes to backing their vehicles.
davelja is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the 2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



  Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Towing specification advice needed dlrad Towing and the Towed 16 11-21-2014 08:47 PM
TSB Needed B radontheHawk Engine and Technical Discussion 39 04-10-2014 04:31 PM
Transmission Advice Needed JRSJEEP Engine and Technical Discussion 4 03-18-2014 01:21 PM
About to purchase... advice needed webeye Owners' Garage 15 01-04-2014 07:21 AM
Android app needed for Jeep Cherokee Club macfan Jeepcherokeeclub.com Site Help 8 11-21-2013 09:48 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On