Help 2015 Latitude shutting off daily out of nowhere not battery alternator or starte - 2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums
User Tag List

 6Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-10-2017, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
perrymock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 21
Unhappy Help 2015 Latitude shutting off daily out of nowhere not battery alternator or starte

Been a month or two since I been on the fourm and I really need some advice. Our families 2015 Jeep Cherokee Latitude 4X4 is shutting off on its own out of nowhere. I bought it used 12/31/16 and already had to deal with the Thermostat being stuck open and having to get that fixed.( Thank you Chrysler) Well since Tuesday 6/6/17 it will just cut off out of nowhere while driving. It has just been every morning after I backed down my drive way and then had to stop at stop signs or stop lights going down the road till I got on the highway and in the afternoon it would not shut off but rather ding at me but nothing would ever come up no lights or anything. It dings now it seems everytime I turn a corner left or right I have noticed. Well today 6/10/17 I get the dealer I work with on the phone and they tell me to bring it in. On my way to the dealer it totally freaked out on me. It did the shutting off at the stop signs and stop light but this time the display lit up and a lighting bolt icon light came on as well as my engine light and a messages saying 4 wheel drive would be temporarily unavailable and I could not go any faster than like 20 miles per hour or so. Well I turned it off and restarted it and made it to the dealer I work with and they said the battery, starter, and alternator and everything is fine but they would need to update the software for the PMC or something and see if that would work cause there was a recall for it. Well that did not work and I have to bring it on Monday as it was Saturday today and they only had a light crew on hand. I thought I wanted a Cherokee so bad and now I am really regretting my choice it seems. Anyone else been through this or have any other ideas? I have seen my exact issue on other websites but no fix listed for it.

2015 Black Jeep Cherokee Latitude 4X4
Purchased used 12/31/16
Beloved by a five year old little boy, his dad, mom & crazy siberian husky
Nickname: Smoke
Add ons/Mods: MK licence plate front, MK rear window sticker,Rock Creek Outfitters sticker on gas cap, rectangle Rock Creek Outfitters sticker on hatch, Square Soddy Creek Outfitters sticker on hatch.
Hopefully will be used to take our family hiking, camping, and swimming everywhere we can go
perrymock is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-10-2017, 11:00 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Enumclaw, WA
Posts: 60
Check your oil level. I had a similar experience where, from a cold start, drive 1/4 mile, take a 15 or 20mph turn to the left, and my TH would die. I'd coast to the edge of the road, and simply restart it.

I called my dealer with those symptoms and they said to check my oil. When I checked my oil, it wasn't even registering on the dipstick. I took it to my dealer the next day and found I only had 1 quart instead of 5. Now I'm doing an oil consumption test for them to find out what happened to my 4 quarts of oil they put in 3,000 miles ago.

But I was told that the shut down is a build in safety feature for when the engine can't suck any oil. When I turned, the little oil I had, sloshed to the right side, exposing the intake, allowing it to suck in air, then the car would shut down.

So check your oil and see if you're low.
MyThirdJeep and perrymock like this.

2017 Granite Crystal Trailhawk 2.4L I4 with the Hazard Sky Trailhawk+ Lift, Red Plasti-Dipped Emblems and a Uniden PRO520XL CB Radio. SOON-TO-BE upgraded with a Dobinson Suspension, RRO Super Sliders and some 245/75R17 <brand TBD> Tires w/Pinch Seam Mod
fryguy is offline  
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-10-2017, 11:02 PM
Forum Elder
 
Mark_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Québec, Canada
Posts: 4,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by perrymock View Post
Been a month or two since I been on the fourm and I really need some advice. Our families 2015 Jeep Cherokee Latitude 4X4 is shutting off on its own out of nowhere. I bought it used 12/31/16 and already had to deal with the Thermostat being stuck open and having to get that fixed.( Thank you Chrysler) Well since Tuesday 6/6/17 it will just cut off out of nowhere while driving. It has just been every morning after I backed down my drive way and then had to stop at stop signs or stop lights going down the road till I got on the highway and in the afternoon it would not shut off but rather ding at me but nothing would ever come up no lights or anything. It dings now it seems everytime I turn a corner left or right I have noticed. Well today 6/10/17 I get the dealer I work with on the phone and they tell me to bring it in. On my way to the dealer it totally freaked out on me. It did the shutting off at the stop signs and stop light but this time the display lit up and a lighting bolt icon light came on as well as my engine light and a messages saying 4 wheel drive would be temporarily unavailable and I could not go any faster than like 20 miles per hour or so. Well I turned it off and restarted it and made it to the dealer I work with and they said the battery, starter, and alternator and everything is fine but they would need to update the software for the PMC or something and see if that would work cause there was a recall for it. Well that did not work and I have to bring it on Monday as it was Saturday today and they only had a light crew on hand. I thought I wanted a Cherokee so bad and now I am really regretting my choice it seems. Anyone else been through this or have any other ideas? I have seen my exact issue on other websites but no fix listed for it.
Hey there,

Yikes. That sounds horrible...

Ok, just to clarify one thing first : you mentionned the thermostat, so you have the 4 cylinder engine, right ?

The only thing that pops into my mind... is possibly a bad ground somewhere. We've had one or two members complain of strange shutdowns and, on a few occasions, I think a bad ground was at fault. I also recall someone who had just gotten a new transmission put in, and the tech didn't hook up one of the grounds correctly, which caused weird symptoms not unlike the ones you are experiencing now. Because you bought it used, you likely don't have the maintenance history on it... so maybe...
perrymock likes this.

My avatar is the Elder Predator (goes well with my forum status and overall temper )
2015 North (Canada) - V6 - AD1
Cold, Tow, 8.4A, 9 speakers with sub
Mark_ is offline  
 
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
perrymock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_ View Post
Hey there,

Yikes. That sounds horrible...

Ok, just to clarify one thing first : you mentionned the thermostat, so you have the 4 cylinder engine, right ?

The only thing that pops into my mind... is possibly a bad ground somewhere. We've had one or two members complain of strange shutdowns and, on a few occasions, I think a bad ground was at fault. I also recall someone who had just gotten a new transmission put in, and the tech didn't hook up one of the grounds correctly, which caused weird symptoms not unlike the ones you are experiencing now. Because you bought it used, you likely don't have the maintenance history on it... so maybe...
Thank you both Fryguy and Elder Predator ( A shout out to Yautja everywhere and of all clans! Good hunting)

So it seems that it was a need for extra oil that solved my issue so far. I had to add four whole quarts. I drove my wife's car to get the oil and then added it in to my Cherokee, then did what I usually do on a normal morning and did not have any issues. Thank God!
I will have to watch things and see how fast the oil gets used up. I had my first oil change since I owned my Cherokee at 42,600 miles and that was at my local dealership. My next change was to be at 47600 per the dealership and I am 47100 miles now. I was planning to make an appointment for my next oil change in the next week or two depending how much I drove. I was advised that this was a 5,000 mile oil change vehicle and not 3,000 miles so I just took the dealerships services depts word for it. My man pride took a hit cause I was thinking duh I knew better and just trusted someone else anyway. haha.
Yes I do have the four cylinder model and have not had any issues with the thermostat since it was fixed. Chrysler was nice enough to provide me with some free oil changes and tire rotations because of all the issues with it at that time.
When I was buying it I was under a deadline for some personal reasons and wish I waited a few days longer to see if a 6 cylinder Trailhawk came available in my budget. Well everything is okay for right now and thank you so much for the advice. We have plans to put Smoke( Our Cherokee) to good use today!
Fj4080 likes this.

2015 Black Jeep Cherokee Latitude 4X4
Purchased used 12/31/16
Beloved by a five year old little boy, his dad, mom & crazy siberian husky
Nickname: Smoke
Add ons/Mods: MK licence plate front, MK rear window sticker,Rock Creek Outfitters sticker on gas cap, rectangle Rock Creek Outfitters sticker on hatch, Square Soddy Creek Outfitters sticker on hatch.
Hopefully will be used to take our family hiking, camping, and swimming everywhere we can go
perrymock is offline  
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 05:15 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Enumclaw, WA
Posts: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by perrymock View Post
Thank you both Fryguy and Elder Predator ( A shout out to Yautja everywhere and of all clans! Good hunting)

So it seems that it was a need for extra oil that solved my issue so far. I had to add four whole quarts. I drove my wife's car to get the oil and then added it in to my Cherokee, then did what I usually do on a normal morning and did not have any issues. Thank God!
I will have to watch things and see how fast the oil gets used up. I had my first oil change since I owned my Cherokee at 42,600 miles and that was at my local dealership. My next change was to be at 47600 per the dealership and I am 47100 miles now. I was planning to make an appointment for my next oil change in the next week or two depending how much I drove. I was advised that this was a 5,000 mile oil change vehicle and not 3,000 miles so I just took the dealerships services depts word for it. My man pride took a hit cause I was thinking duh I knew better and just trusted someone else anyway. haha.
Yes I do have the four cylinder model and have not had any issues with the thermostat since it was fixed. Chrysler was nice enough to provide me with some free oil changes and tire rotations because of all the issues with it at that time.
When I was buying it I was under a deadline for some personal reasons and wish I waited a few days longer to see if a 6 cylinder Trailhawk came available in my budget. Well everything is okay for right now and thank you so much for the advice. We have plans to put Smoke( Our Cherokee) to good use today!
Glad you checked! Since I've started my oil consumption test, I've put on about 700 miles and am down about 1/4 to 1/3 of a quart. I'm supposed to bring it in at 1000 miles so they can get an actual measurement. If it works out to be 1 quart per 4000 miles, I'm not going to accept that as "normal" from my dealer and will push it up to Jeep Cares folks on this message board for assistance in a proper resolution.
perrymock likes this.

2017 Granite Crystal Trailhawk 2.4L I4 with the Hazard Sky Trailhawk+ Lift, Red Plasti-Dipped Emblems and a Uniden PRO520XL CB Radio. SOON-TO-BE upgraded with a Dobinson Suspension, RRO Super Sliders and some 245/75R17 <brand TBD> Tires w/Pinch Seam Mod
fryguy is offline  
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 08:20 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Norfolk, VA
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by perrymock View Post
Thank you both Fryguy and Elder Predator ( A shout out to Yautja everywhere and of all clans! Good hunting)

So it seems that it was a need for extra oil that solved my issue so far. I had to add four whole quarts. I drove my wife's car to get the oil and then added it in to my Cherokee, then did what I usually do on a normal morning and did not have any issues. Thank God!
I will have to watch things and see how fast the oil gets used up. I had my first oil change since I owned my Cherokee at 42,600 miles and that was at my local dealership. My next change was to be at 47600 per the dealership and I am 47100 miles now. I was planning to make an appointment for my next oil change in the next week or two depending how much I drove. I was advised that this was a 5,000 mile oil change vehicle and not 3,000 miles so I just took the dealerships services depts word for it. My man pride took a hit cause I was thinking duh I knew better and just trusted someone else anyway. haha.
Yes I do have the four cylinder model and have not had any issues with the thermostat since it was fixed. Chrysler was nice enough to provide me with some free oil changes and tire rotations because of all the issues with it at that time.
When I was buying it I was under a deadline for some personal reasons and wish I waited a few days longer to see if a 6 cylinder Trailhawk came available in my budget. Well everything is okay for right now and thank you so much for the advice. We have plans to put Smoke( Our Cherokee) to good use today!
I heard the same issues on Chrysler vans. But where do the oil go? Does it get used up by engine or does it mix with the cooling system, provided there are no leaks. Im just confused.
sagravtj is offline  
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 08:33 PM
Forum Elder
 
Array's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 4,651
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagravtj View Post
But where do the oil go? Does it get used up by engine or does it mix with the cooling system, provided there are no leaks. Im just confused.
Usually it blows by the piston rings and gets burnt and sent out the exhaust system. Sometimes it gets by the valve stems. Leaking into the cooling system is possible and bad, but not as likely.

2015 White/Black Limited | 3.2-L V6 | Active Drive II | Tech Grp | Lux Grp | Trailer Tow Grp | SafetyTec | Uconect 8.4AN | 9 Speakers | Tonneau Cover | Born 09-06-14 : (( (( (( (( (( (( (( :
Array is offline  
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
perrymock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 21
Whoa! I am reading these responses and now I am sitting here totally flummoxed, gobsmacked, and in shock thinking to myself like "WHAT THE HECK!?!?! HOW IS THIS ACCEPTABLE" with a chuckle of bewilderment and widedeyed! HAHA but not really haha.

There are mini stargates in the engine that the oil goes to. Thats it I figured it out!
sgrim likes this.

2015 Black Jeep Cherokee Latitude 4X4
Purchased used 12/31/16
Beloved by a five year old little boy, his dad, mom & crazy siberian husky
Nickname: Smoke
Add ons/Mods: MK licence plate front, MK rear window sticker,Rock Creek Outfitters sticker on gas cap, rectangle Rock Creek Outfitters sticker on hatch, Square Soddy Creek Outfitters sticker on hatch.
Hopefully will be used to take our family hiking, camping, and swimming everywhere we can go
perrymock is offline  
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 06:35 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 30
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by perrymock View Post
Whoa! I am reading these responses and now I am sitting here totally flummoxed, gobsmacked, and in shock thinking to myself like "WHAT THE HECK!?!?! HOW IS THIS ACCEPTABLE" with a chuckle of bewilderment and widedeyed! HAHA but not really haha.

There are mini stargates in the engine that the oil goes to. Thats it I figured it out!
Same issues... No oil left on the dip stick! After oil consumption test, Jeep says burning 1qt/1000miles is counted as normal by FCA. Trading this junk off.
MyThirdJeep is offline  
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 06:40 PM
Premium Member
 
04Freedom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyThirdJeep View Post
Same issues... No oil left on the dip stick! After oil consumption test, Jeep says burning 1qt/1000miles is counted as normal by FCA. Trading this junk off.
That is a common rule with many OEMs, but it is still a joke. I'd be livid.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

'87 Comanche 4.0L Command Trac
'93 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0L 2WD
'04 Grand Cherokee Laredo Freedom Edition 4.7L HO 2WD
'17 Trailhawk Light Brownstone 3.2L, L Plus, Tow, SafetyTec and Tech Groups
04Freedom is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the 2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



  Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Group 27F battery fits in 2015 3.2! Clark W. Griswold, Jr. Electronics, Audio, and Lighting 31 06-12-2017 04:09 PM
AGM Battery - 2015 Mark_ Electronics, Audio, and Lighting 2 01-23-2017 02:31 PM
The Big 3...Where is the alternator? Warlin 2014+ Jeep Cherokee General Discussion 5 02-17-2016 12:35 AM
Alternator on indefinite back order?!? yisrael42 2014+ Jeep Cherokee General Discussion 20 01-15-2016 02:27 PM
2015 Cherokee reviewed in the New York Daily News PeteB Jeep Cherokee Reviews 0 11-12-2014 02:41 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On