After Warranty, No More System Re-Flashes Unless You Pay - 2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums
User Tag List

 6Likes
  • 1 Post By jp1seattle
  • 1 Post By TCDiesel
  • 1 Post By CptCrackers
  • 3 Post By RojStock
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Member
 
Dodgeboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Southeast PA
Posts: 679
After Warranty, No More System Re-Flashes Unless You Pay

I took my Ď15 Limited into the dealer for a minor intermittent problem with the 4-5 shift. Occasionally it would shift too hard into 5th so some of the guys here said the new software might help.

Anyway, the Jeep turned 50,000 miles that day. I was out of the bumper to bumper warranty but still under the powertrain warranty and I donít have MaxCare. The dealer did the re-flash to the engine transmission modules under warranty but came out to tell me that if I wanted the rest of the modules done it would be shop rate and would run several hundred dollars. This would be for the HVAC, the radio, and several other systems. I kind of expected this and as I didnít really have any troubles with the other systems I told him not to bother.

Just wanted to let you guys know that if youíre approaching 36,000 miles, you might want to see about getting your software up to date if you can. Same with the powertrain software when you get close to the end of the warranty for that.

2015 Cherokee Limited - Ordered 10/21 and built 11/14. Took delivery on 11/21/14 - Deep Cherry, V6, ADII, all the tech stuff and options except a sunroof, CD player, subwoofer and charging pad.
Dodgeboy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 08:03 PM
Hardcore Member
 
Wolfdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: South Shore, MA
Posts: 514
Garage
Does not surprise me at all!Thats why if you are going to keep one of these "new" rigs longer than the original warranty an extended Max Care is in order. Everything is sooo expensive, not just labor but some parts it's probably well worth the extra.


I had an extended warranty on my JKU Sahara and never used it. Traded at 51K and I think the extended warranty cast about 1300 and I got back 950. It was however a 7 year extension which in reality is a 4 year extension and having not used it at all...well you get it, decisions, decisions!!


Biggest decision was trading the Wrangler... wrong decision, but that's been over done elsewhere!!! Like the TH's but really miss my JKU!!


Go Jeep!!!

Wolfdog

'15 loaded Trailhawk(me) Everything but Tech. Group
'15 loaded Trailhawk (wife) Everything but Tech. Group
FJR 1300 SS Tourer (me)
(Newest Trailhawk is Jeep #26 since '65)
Wolfdog is offline  
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 09:06 PM
Member
 
jp1seattle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Seattle
Posts: 45
Ouch. Man....it would be really nice if there was a handheld tuner and someone that could write tunes for these Jeeps.
Tmugz88 likes this.

2016 75th 3.2 AD2

2013 Mustang GT Vortech/Lund/628rwhp
jp1seattle is offline  
 
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 10:01 PM
Member
 
TCDiesel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Blaine
Posts: 40
We Flash FCA vehicles all the time its form $0-$100. Lowering the TPMS is the most costly.
Jeepster1 likes this.

Your Jeep, Your Money ,Your Choices
2017 Cherokee Limited Every Option AD1
TCDiesel is offline  
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 06:25 AM
Member
 
CptCrackers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 88
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgeboy View Post
I took my Ď15 Limited into the dealer for a minor intermittent problem with the 4-5 shift. Occasionally it would shift too hard into 5th so some of the guys here said the new software might help.

Anyway, the Jeep turned 50,000 miles that day. I was out of the bumper to bumper warranty but still under the powertrain warranty and I donít have MaxCare. The dealer did the re-flash to the engine transmission modules under warranty but came out to tell me that if I wanted the rest of the modules done it would be shop rate and would run several hundred dollars. This would be for the HVAC, the radio, and several other systems. I kind of expected this and as I didnít really have any troubles with the other systems I told him not to bother.

Just wanted to let you guys know that if youíre approaching 36,000 miles, you might want to see about getting your software up to date if you can. Same with the powertrain software when you get close to the end of the warranty for that.
This is really sad to hear. Ford kept flashing my 2010 Escape anytime I had it in for anything up until I traded it in at 150k last summer.



Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
Tmugz88 likes this.

'16 Mango TrailHawk - HazardSky Lift - BFG KO2 245/70/17
CptCrackers is offline  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 08:09 AM
Member
 
Reel Crazy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: South Shore, MA
Posts: 70
Is there anyone out there that has been able to use their MaxCare extended warranty for a re-flash after the 36k / or 100k warranty was up? Most seem to have a $100 deductible, I'm not sure if a re-flash is covered, but if it is, there would probably be a $100 fee.
I should really read through it, I'm still not very clear on the $100 per visit / use.

2015 Cherokee Trailhawk:
Granite Crystal, 3.2L V6, Tow pack, Tech pack, 8.4 Nav, black leather vent. seats, sunroof, comfort/conv, 9 speakers, Maximum Care lifetime warranty.
Reel Crazy is offline  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 08:44 AM
Premium Member
 
Jeepster1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: West Central Illinois by the old Mississippi.
Posts: 3,735
Garage
Actually I would imagine that if an owner kept up with those updates before the 3/36 and/or 5 year power train, new updates would not be an issue
Mine the last it was in had no new updates available. Mine, a '14, I believe has a 5/100 power train.
Now there are updates and there are updates. There are required updates but there were some the dealer did not do as they were to correct an existing issues only.
The dealer only does required ones. I have only had 1 TCM/PCM update other than the recent cable one. Many TCM updates have been issued but only one was required for my Cherokee.
My transmission is very smooth though at half the mileage of @Dodgeboy

Now the one point I would make is I really believe that FCA is responsible for updates issued after the warranty expires if applicable to your vehicle year and VIN.

As the OP mentioned there are charges after the warranty period. But in his defense I would say that transmission should be smooth, at this point in time, and not require any further updates to make it so.
Any issues with shifting if recently developed, is not a good sign for the ZF. Especially true if its the old hardware equipped transmission. All my dealer told me on my '14 was if I ever notice a change in transmission behavior to get it in to them.

Also by the way I do hope that the dealer took care of that shifting issue for you with that update. You are definitely one of the long term testers on this forum so I can get a view of my future with my Cherokee.

2014 Cherokee Limited 4x4
V6 w/ AD2
Tech Group (both parts)
Luxury Group
Tow Group
Navigation
Cherry Red
12/11/13 build
Max Care Life Service Plan
Jeepster1 is offline  
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 09:18 AM
Premium Member
 
Jeepster1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: West Central Illinois by the old Mississippi.
Posts: 3,735
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reel Crazy View Post
Is there anyone out there that has been able to use their MaxCare extended warranty for a re-flash after the 36k / or 100k warranty was up? Most seem to have a $100 deductible, I'm not sure if a re-flash is covered, but if it is, there would probably be a $100 fee.
I should really read through it, I'm still not very clear on the $100 per visit / use.
Actually the way I read it is it is per repair visit. In other words multiple things can be fixed for the one deductible.
If a flash will resolve a issue you are having then its covered. I would also imagine if there are required updates on your Cherokee they would be covered also.

Now somewhere they do list the items that are not covered. These are maintenance items only such as brakes/rotors/hoses /belts and so on.
Actually it not a big list and seems reasonable. The rule I saw for the Max Care was if its not excluded (on the list) then its covered.
One of the reasons I purchased a Max Care Life.
But I do not believe you can request a particular update. They need to scan your vehicle to see what is required for it unless you are having a particular on going issue.
That I believe would not be covered as there was no issue involved. But again if you are not having any issues nothing needs to be fixed.
Now if its in for another repair then they have to scan your vehicle anyway and any required updates should show up. Those then should be done under the warranty.

* Here is a list of excluded items from the web site dealing with the Max Care plan.
I did not see software listed anywhere including the exclusion list.
http://www.chryslerwarrantys.com/maximum_care.cfm

2014 Cherokee Limited 4x4
V6 w/ AD2
Tech Group (both parts)
Luxury Group
Tow Group
Navigation
Cherry Red
12/11/13 build
Max Care Life Service Plan
Jeepster1 is offline  
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 12:00 PM
Premium Member
 
RojStock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,736
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepster1 View Post
Actually the way I read it is it is per repair visit. In other words multiple things can be fixed for the one deductible.
If a flash will resolve a issue you are having then its covered. I would also imagine if there are required updates on your Cherokee they would be covered also.


Now somewhere they do list the items that are not covered. These are maintenance items only such as brakes/rotors/hoses /belts and so on.
Actually it not a big list and seems reasonable. The rule I saw for the Max Care was if its not excluded (on the list) then its covered.
One of the reasons I purchased a Max Care Life.
But I do not believe you can request a particular update. They need to scan your vehicle to see what is required for it unless you are having a particular on going issue.
That I believe would not be covered as there was no issue involved. But again if you are not having any issues nothing needs to be fixed.
Now if its in for another repair then they have to scan your vehicle anyway and any required updates should show up. Those then should be done under the warranty.

* Here is a list of excluded items from the web site dealing with the Max Care plan.
I did not see software listed anywhere including the exclusion list.
http://www.chryslerwarrantys.com/maximum_care.cfm
This is true. As I mentioned in the Ball-Joint thread, I am having my struts replaced under my Maxcare $100 deductible warranty and the tech said there were a bunch of other computer updates that were available that they can do when they replace the struts and it won't cost me anything extra as I am already paying the deductible for the struts. I will see what the paperwork says next week when I get it done but I plan on having them update everything.

They did do a PCM update for a recall as those get done for free even if you are out of warranty but I guess there are a bunch that are not required and those would cost you.

RojStock is online now  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the 2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



  Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Just got 7 software flashes today -- what do they address? mmahamm Engine and Technical Discussion 4 10-16-2016 10:59 AM
Another road trip and more flashes Paddy 2014+ Jeep Cherokee General Discussion 3 08-26-2016 07:01 PM
Aftermarket stereo (CarPlay), sound system and warranty jlroman2 2014+ Jeep Cherokee General Discussion 3 03-16-2016 10:58 PM
Tranny Flashes R2D2 Transmission Discussion 30 03-12-2016 07:54 AM
Software Flashes rviator Engine and Technical Discussion 1 03-27-2015 07:39 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On