Downshift from 3rd - Page 2 - 2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums
User Tag List
JeepCares

 89Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 317 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 12:58 PM
Hardcore Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 633
My car is going in for this and all the other problems they still haven't fixed on Monday.
TnTZing likes this.

2014 Latitude Deep Cherry Red
3.2L V6 | ADI | 8.4 UConnect | 9 Speakers & Subwoofer
roarkrd is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 317 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTBOkee View Post
My axles were replaced also. I only have had one occasion where it would have been a slight wobble since then. That being said, how sure can we be that the wobble is fixed if they have pretty much eliminated 2nd gear where the wobble emanates.
I've never noticed the wobble after axle replacement, even when going from 1st to 2nd and I'm always checking. I hope it stays that way. But you could definitely be right about the wobblers not feeling it as much with the goofy stuck in 3ed gear problem. It would make it a lot less noticeable not ever going into 1st would falsely eliminate that problem. The sure is not a fix.
TnTZing is offline  
post #13 of 317 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 01:25 PM
Enthusiast Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: DFW area, Texas
Posts: 155
Curious about this. Does it stay in 3rd or suddenly "slam" into 1st when you try to accelerate? I ask because my wife has had an issue that I can't duplicate. She pulls out of the driveway and immediately into a stop sign. She says she stops completely but, knowing my wife - and the one or two tickets she has received for doing such -, I'm assuming she "jackrabbits" the sign, not coming to a full stop. Regardless, she says the TH "jerks" as if slamming into gear before accelerating normally. After reading the above, a sudden 3-to-1 shift could be the culprit. Just assumption on my part but, if the transmission is staying in 3rd gear and she is compensating for the lack of acceleration by applying more skinny pedal causing the transmission to suddenly shift to 1st, this could be the issue. Our's is a 4/14 build with a new transmission installed at 56 miles (pushing 8,000 miles, now) and up until these two complaints, been flawless. Both times, as she describes, it has been a colder morning and the transmission had not warmed up.

Last edited by Barjrob1972; 03-11-2015 at 01:36 PM.
Barjrob1972 is offline  
 
post #14 of 317 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 01:33 PM
Enthusiast Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 226
Feels like a manual when you put in fourth gear but you think your in second and you start driving feels like the car has no power well that's what mine does in 3rd gear ive got to mash it to pass someone so it can kick down into first then second and so on
JoeTHcherokee is offline  
post #15 of 317 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barjrob1972 View Post
Curious about this. Does it stay in 3rd or suddenly "slam" into 1st when you try to accelerate? I ask because my wife has had an issue that I can't duplicate. She pulls out of the driveway and immediately into a stop sign. She says she stops completely but, knowing my wife - and the one or two tickets she has received for doing such -, I'm assuming she "jackrabbits" the sign, not coming to a full stop. Regardless, she says the TH "jerks" as if slamming into gear before accelerating normally. After reading the above, a sudden 3-to-1 shift could be the culprit. Just assumption on my part but, if the transmission is staying in 3rd gear and she is compensating for the lack of acceleration by applying more skinny pedal causing the transmission to suddenly shift to 1st, this could be the issue. Our's is a 4/14 build with a new transmission installed at 56 miles (pushing 8,000 miles, now) and up until these two complaints, been flawless. Both times, as she describes, it has been a colder morning and the transmission had not warmed up.
Well it could be what is happening.
But I don't know why you wouldn't be able to duplicate it, it happens all the time. if you don't notice it staying in 3rd gear at very slow speed and having to give it a lot of throttle to get out of third and then it just bangs into 1st, I would say it's not it.
TnTZing is offline  
post #16 of 317 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 02:31 PM
Hardcore Member
 
wpgguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Posts: 1,444
I noticed this after I picked my Cherokee up after the update. It stays in 2nd as little as possible, and hesitates to downshift to 2nd when its needed. Because this is happening to most of us, it is safe to say it is all in the programming. The dealer will not be able to fix the issue, as they are not Chrysler engineers and do not create their own software on the fly.

We can only hope they take our comments and concerns back to Chrysler to tweak the programming.
TnTZing and thebige88 like this.

Black Cherokee Sport 4x4 i4
Current Mileage: 56,000km
Ordered February 11th 2014 - Picked up May 2nd 2014
Unresolved transmission clunk 2nd to 3rd.
wpgguy is offline  
post #17 of 317 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 02:58 PM
Enthusiast Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgguy View Post
I noticed this after I picked my Cherokee up after the update. It stays in 2nd as little as possible, and hesitates to downshift to 2nd when its needed. Because this is happening to most of us, it is safe to say it is all in the programming. The dealer will not be able to fix the issue, as they are not Chrysler engineers and do not create their own software on the fly.

We can only hope they take our comments and concerns back to Chrysler to tweak the programming.

They won't even acknowledge the issue is there... As I was with the shop mgr and he wouldn't even acknowledge after experiencing it. They are not taking the info back to Chrysler without some major backlash from consumers. We all need to contact our case mgr and have them get it to Chrysler so they keep hearing of the issue from different people.
JTBOkee is offline  
post #18 of 317 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 03:13 PM
Hardcore Member
 
wpgguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Posts: 1,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTBOkee View Post
They won't even acknowledge the issue is there... As I was with the shop mgr and he wouldn't even acknowledge after experiencing it. They are not taking the info back to Chrysler without some major backlash from consumers. We all need to contact our case mgr and have them get it to Chrysler so they keep hearing of the issue from different people.
This is exactly what happened when the wobble situation arose. No dealer admitted there was an issue. It wasn't until consumers started complaining directly to Chrysler that it was actually looked into. BTW, I still haven't had my wobble fixed because the dealers here still don't believe there is such thing. I've been too frustrated with it to even think about making another appointment. I'll probably end up calling Chrysler again this week to mention my wobble. If I do, I'll bring up the downshifting.

Black Cherokee Sport 4x4 i4
Current Mileage: 56,000km
Ordered February 11th 2014 - Picked up May 2nd 2014
Unresolved transmission clunk 2nd to 3rd.
wpgguy is offline  
post #19 of 317 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 04:20 PM
Forum Elder
 
Array's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 4,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barjrob1972 View Post
Curious about this. Does it stay in 3rd or suddenly "slam" into 1st when you try to accelerate? I ask because my wife has had an issue that I can't duplicate. She pulls out of the driveway and immediately into a stop sign. She says she stops completely but, knowing my wife - and the one or two tickets she has received for doing such -, I'm assuming she "jackrabbits" the sign, not coming to a full stop. Regardless, she says the TH "jerks" as if slamming into gear before accelerating normally. After reading the above, a sudden 3-to-1 shift could be the culprit. Just assumption on my part but, if the transmission is staying in 3rd gear and she is compensating for the lack of acceleration by applying more skinny pedal causing the transmission to suddenly shift to 1st, this could be the issue. Our's is a 4/14 build with a new transmission installed at 56 miles (pushing 8,000 miles, now) and up until these two complaints, been flawless. Both times, as she describes, it has been a colder morning and the transmission had not warmed up.
6 months and 6,000 miles here. I've always had a stiff 2-3 shift when the transmission is cold. Sometimes it will even downshift stiffly on the expressway if the transmission has not got above about 150 degrees F. It's become more noticeable lately. Mine has not been to the dealership since the day it was purchased. Maybe this cold 2-3 shift is what your wife is experiencing. By "stiff" I mean it's like sliding your foot off the clutch pedal halfway through the clutch application. Not a WTH, but more like a "Oh, that's a little too harsh". I've started using the remote start lately to let it warm up a couple minutes before taking off and the 2-3 shift is actually smooth then, most of the time.

2015 White/Black Limited | 3.2-L V6 | Active Drive II | Tech Grp | Lux Grp | Trailer Tow Grp | SafetyTec | Uconect 8.4AN | 9 Speakers | Tonneau Cover | Born 09-06-14 : (( (( (( (( (( (( (( :
Array is offline  
post #20 of 317 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgguy View Post
BTW, I still haven't had my wobble fixed because the dealers here still don't believe there is such thing.
Are you kidding me? That is BS.
You should print out what some of us that have had the wobble fixed are saying. Print out the parts used that are fixing our wobble.
I don't know what Chrysler number you're calling but call this one 800-763-8422 and tell them your dealer won't even acknowledge it and you know there is fix. Tell them to open a star case for you.
TnTZing is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the 2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



  Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
No downshift from 3rd to 2nd JTBOkee 2014+ Jeep Cherokee General Discussion 21 06-17-2015 02:17 PM
Rough 2nd to 1st Downshift Spudman Engine and Technical Discussion 9 08-29-2014 01:13 PM
Coming to a stop...last few gears can feel it downshift NJCherokeeLTD Engine and Technical Discussion 13 04-13-2014 02:12 AM
My 3rd Jeep Cherokee! GenHunter New Member Introductions 11 01-04-2014 09:45 AM
got my 3rd Cherokee! Gator New Member Introductions 20 12-17-2013 12:12 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On