200+ Mile Drive after S55 Recall - 2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums
User Tag List

 3Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-27-2016, 01:48 AM Thread Starter
Enthusiast Member
 
R2D2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Alameda, CA
Posts: 261
Garage
200+ Mile Drive after S55 Recall

Hi Guys,

I wanted to share my thoughts on the new S55 Recall. I took my 2014 TH to the dealer yesterday to get the S55 Recall Update. They've updated the TCM and my ECU.

My first initial drive, right off the bat. I can tell that my TH shifts SO MUCH smoother. Previously a shift from 1-2, 2-3, is a rough shift. Then 3-4 you can tell there is a huge lag(dog clutches) and then another kind of rough shift . Now everything is smooth. You don't feel a nudge nor a rough shift any more.

Now the treacherous 3-1 stop and go issue. Previously, you must be at a complete stop to reach 1'st gear. And the Cherokee does not shift to 2nd on a rolling stop. Now, I've checked and done this so many times. On a rolling stop, the Cherokee does still stay on 3rd but you can feel the quick shift to 2nd then to 3rd.(Verified this when I felt the car shift by quickly moving the shifter to "Manual" and shows the current gear) I can now do a rolling stop without worrying to gas the car to make it go faster and to make it shift into a lower gear or stop worrying about a rolling stop and gassing the car and it stays on third. Let me tell you how its embarrassing how the car sounds and feels when I have friends in the car and tells me "Dude, why does your car feel like that".

I've done a short stop and go traffic, so far the way my transmission shift is actually smoother than before. It stays on 1st much longer instead of the tranny trying to shift to 2nd which makes the car jerk a little bit and then back to 1st.

I just thought I'd share my thoughts on the new S55 Recall. I will update this with more information once I find more interesting updates.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	S55.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	181.8 KB
ID:	142929  
CaliEcoGreen, sgrim and Mark_ like this.

2014 Black Trailhawk | 2.4L i4 | Comfort Group | Leather Group | UConnect 8.4AN | CDPlayer | Build:06/25/2014 | Twitter: ArdeeAquino
R2D2 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-27-2016, 02:34 AM
Enthusiast Member
 
Normandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Victoria, Australia
Posts: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Hi Guys,

I wanted to share my thoughts on the new S55 Recall. I took my 2014 TH to the dealer yesterday to get the S55 Recall Update. They've updated the TCM and my ECU.

My first initial drive, right off the bat. I can tell that my TH shifts SO MUCH smoother. Previously a shift from 1-2, 2-3, is a rough shift. Then 3-4 you can tell there is a huge lag(dog clutches) and then another kind of rough shift . Now everything is smooth. You don't feel a nudge nor a rough shift any more.

Now the treacherous 3-1 stop and go issue. Previously, you must be at a complete stop to reach 1'st gear. And the Cherokee does not shift to 2nd on a rolling stop. Now, I've checked and done this so many times. On a rolling stop, the Cherokee does still stay on 3rd but you can feel the quick shift to 2nd then to 3rd.(Verified this when I felt the car shift by quickly moving the shifter to "Manual" and shows the current gear) I can now do a rolling stop without worrying to gas the car to make it go faster and to make it shift into a lower gear or stop worrying about a rolling stop and gassing the car and it stays on third. Let me tell you how its embarrassing how the car sounds and feels when I have friends in the car and tells me "Dude, why does your car feel like that".

I've done a short stop and go traffic, so far the way my transmission shift is actually smoother than before. It stays on 1st much longer instead of the tranny trying to shift to 2nd which makes the car jerk a little bit and then back to 1st.

I just thought I'd share my thoughts on the new S55 Recall. I will update this with more information once I find more interesting updates.

My Sep 2015 th goes in this Friday , not sure of there will be any updates of software , just was told wire harness repcement , takes an hour , that's all I have been told . Will report if three are any differences

Victorian Highlands Australia
Normandy is offline  
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-27-2016, 08:19 AM
Premium Member
 
Jeepster1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: West Central Illinois by the old Mississippi.
Posts: 3,765
Garage
Had my S55 couple weeks ago on my 2014 Limited. Only 1 update prior to this one.
There were update(s) that are part of the S55 recall. FCA probalbly added in some shift improvements and especially adjustments to the 3/1 downshift issue, that were addition to the S55 adjustments.
But again that is a guess on my part and from my observation of the results.
I agree that the 1/2 and 2/3 shifts are the most noticeable. This update actually seems to have smoothed out those shifts. Now, I had no issues with them before but there is a further improvement and now almost unnoticable.
That is unless I am a bit heavy on the gas out of the gate.
As far as the 3/1 downshift its hard to tell as I do not get a lot of stop and go driving. I use to get a jerk at times when accelerating from a roll while slowing down. Not all the time but maybe at just the right speed and acceleration point. Have not really noticed that since the update but will pay attention and give it more time.
Seems to have been a beneficial update besides covering the S55 issue if it should ever occur.

2014 Cherokee Limited 4x4
V6 w/ AD2
Tech Group (both parts)
Luxury Group
Tow Group
Navigation
Cherry Red
12/11/13 build
Max Care Life Service Plan
Jeepster1 is offline  
 
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-27-2016, 10:25 AM
Forum Elder
 
Array's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 4,651
I've put a couple hundred miles on since S55 and there has been no change. However, the shifts have been smooth since R01. But accelerating out of a slowdown from 1 - 12 mph has the same delay and surge as it shifts from 3rd to 1st or 2nd. So, no change here.
Array is offline  
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 06:38 PM
Enthusiast Member
 
Normandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Victoria, Australia
Posts: 224
no recall for june onwards 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normandy View Post
My Sep 2015 th goes in this Friday , not sure of there will be any updates of software , just was told wire harness repcement , takes an hour , that's all I have been told . Will report if three are any differences
Just got a call from my local JEEP dealer, they have just been sent a note from Jeep that all TH exports made on or after June 2015 do NOT need the S55 recall... so no recall for me!

Victorian Highlands Australia
Normandy is offline  
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 08:33 PM
Premium Member
 
taatmk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Utah
Posts: 5,488
Garage
I've had the S55 almost two weeks now. They did the reflashes. They've done reflashes before, so it all seemed routine. I can't tell if its my imagination or if its more tangible, but after every reflash they've performed, the tranny always seems to be smoother. I've never experienced the many issues noted by others on this forum, so there never has been any drastic changes. I do think that it is smoother since S55.

2015 Cherokee Trailhawk:
Granite Crystal, 3.2L V6, 8.4 Nav, black leather, sunroof, tow, tech, comfort/conv, no hood decal, 9 speakers, CD player, Maximum Care lifetime warranty, Mopar first aid kit, rear rubber cargo mat, Thule Aeroblade cross bars (black), Thule Rapid Aero feet, Kuat Vagabond X cargo basket, RRO rock rails with smooth covers, Mopar door sills, Raingler ceiling net, Raingler seat headrest handles, MFC aluminum lift kit, RRO winch bar and Warn M8000S winch, BFG T/A KO2s
taatmk is offline  
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-30-2016, 05:33 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 5
Garage
What are outside temps for you this time of year. We got the S55 a few weeks ago and We have been noticing that under 40 there is a huge lag on a 3-2 when on a slight incline. it seems 3-2 downshift is held back when the transmission is still cold which creates the lag because there is no enough torgue in 3rd. It is a very hard shift and jerk. Never had this issue last winter.

Problem goes away when transmission warms up. However the problem is very dangerous every morning leaving our neighborhood onto the main street.

We are in a little warm spell with rain but next week when the cold returns I plan on call jeep and asking for a case to be opened.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
johonn is offline  
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-30-2016, 09:32 PM
Hardcore Member
 
jamie1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 870
I did the S55 recall on wires Cherokee today. Only had the flash the TCM. Never told my wife to expect anything different on how it may shift. She came home tonight saying how much SMOOTHER the transmission shifts, so maybe FCA did do something else with the flash.
jamie1 is offline  
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 07:55 AM
Premium Member
 
Jeepster1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: West Central Illinois by the old Mississippi.
Posts: 3,765
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie1 View Post
I did the S55 recall on wires Cherokee today. Only had the flash the TCM. Never told my wife to expect anything different on how it may shift. She came home tonight saying how much SMOOTHER the transmission shifts, so maybe FCA did do something else with the flash.
My understanding was there were some adjustments with this software patch besides the fix for the possible future crimping of the cable. Now, I would imagine it would depend on what level of software your Cherokee is on and the year of it. My 2014 had only one update to date. That was a May 2014 update I got on May 2015. As far as any improvements as mentioned earlier, 1/2 and 2/3 smoothed out. But while noticeable they were subtle changes.
Glad it worked out great for you. Got to keep the wife happy. I can imagine if it went the other way!

2014 Cherokee Limited 4x4
V6 w/ AD2
Tech Group (both parts)
Luxury Group
Tow Group
Navigation
Cherry Red
12/11/13 build
Max Care Life Service Plan
Jeepster1 is offline  
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
Enthusiast Member
 
R2D2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Alameda, CA
Posts: 261
Garage
A little update from me:

Its been almost a week now and I've noticed a lot. I have driven my TH for 25k before the S55 recall.

I've noticed that on "Auto" it feels a little similar to "Snow". For example, on "Snow"; the TH starts on 2nd gear to avoid any wheel slippage. When you gas the car you can feel the car shift quickly to third. But for what ever reason on "Auto" it starts on 1st gear then quickly shifts to 2nd gear then to 3rd. I may be imagining things but thats how the car feels.

I've been on a stop and go situation for a week now. I'm very happy with this update, no more sudden shifts to 2nd then back to 1st along with a jerk. It seems to hold first gear longer and then quickly shifts smoothly to second.

On rolling stops as I suspected between 1-9 mph. The transmission does stay on third but while rolling then gassing the car it quickly shifts to 2nd(I can feel it shift and see on my dash that its on 2nd gear) so you can safely go faster. This is great because it usually stays on 3rd gear and when you gas the car, it can feel either sluggish or a burst of power because it shifts to 1st.

I haven't gone off-road since May so we'll see how it fairs on dirt. I doubt theres going to be any change. Oh Yeah I have a new rear-diff since July. It will be great to test out the S55 update and the new rear diff.

2014 Black Trailhawk | 2.4L i4 | Comfort Group | Leather Group | UConnect 8.4AN | CDPlayer | Build:06/25/2014 | Twitter: ArdeeAquino
R2D2 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the 2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



  Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
S55 recall NZOLIVER Australia 5 11-14-2016 12:37 PM
S55 Recall Parts Shipping Around 10/20 KepeliTH 2014+ Jeep Cherokee General Discussion 17 11-03-2016 02:24 AM
S55 Transaxle wire harness recall 2015 Wolfdog 2014+ Jeep Cherokee General Discussion 1 09-13-2016 12:55 AM
Recall S55 JohnAdam 2014+ Jeep Cherokee General Discussion 1 09-08-2016 06:33 PM
Another FCA 9 Speed Recall - Chrysler 200 gti337 2014+ Jeep Cherokee General Discussion 2 02-26-2015 03:50 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On