Transmission finally gave out - Page 2 - 2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums
User Tag List

 9Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 08:31 AM
Forum Elder
 
Mark_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Québec, Canada
Posts: 3,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepermax View Post
UPDATE

Got the Cherokee back a couple of days ago. Looks like it was fitted with a rebuilt tranny ("R8314481AA Trans Kit - With Torque Converter"). I'm ok with that as long as it works well and is covered by the warranty - which it does and is. Btw - since I was outside of the 3/36 bumper-to-bumper coverage, this was covered under the 5/60 Powertrain warranty.

As far as how it feels and performs - it's super smooth and seems to be shifting at just the right moments - although the majority of the time I can't feel it shifting at all! The 1-2 and 2-3 shifts are extremely smooth so it’s pretty obvious there had to be some hardware improvement on the replacement tranny. It also does downshift smoothly into 2 when needed. Although I have to admit I didn't really miss 2 before. I suppose I just got so used to compensating by applying a bit more throttle when in third gear when I needed it. On the highway it very smoothly transitions from 6-7-8 and back when needed.

Post the last software update I had done about a year and half ago and before the latest issues, I was actually ok with the "old" trannys' performance. However, with this new unit in place, it's made me realize how harshly the prior tranny performed - in a number of ways. From harsh shifting/downshifting to clunky "garage shifting" (shifting from D to R for example) to just an overall rougher ride - even when applying the brakes (where the tranny releases from whatever gear it's in).

As for the new tranny, best way I can explain it is the Cherokee drives normally now - like a modern automobile with an auto tranny should drive and I suppose like it should have driven from the very beginning. So I'm quite pleased now - both with the new tranny and with how FCA has stepped up and made this right finally.
That part # seems fairly new to Google with less than 2 pages of hits, most if not all of them pointing to online parts resellers. At $2500, it's less expensive than I would have imagined.

After all the trouble FCA has had with old hardware reconditionned units, I'm sure they've tweaked the product by now, meaning they've taken care of the major weakness(es). It does sound like you have tranny behavior that is *new hardware* and that is great news.

Someone on this site once said (over a year ago IIRC) that in situations like this one, it is often better to go with a reconditionned transmission rather than a brand new one, because the specs for rebuilding are so tight and it kinda takes out any bad unit. This wasn't the case with the early recond. ZF9s... but it could be now. Fingers crossed for all those who will get these units.

Let us know how she does over time and especially after that initial learn (a few thousand miles should do it).

My avatar is the Elder Predator (goes well with my forum status and overall temper )
2015 North (Canada) - V6 - AD1
Cold, Tow, 8.4A, 9 speakers with sub
Mark_ is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 08:40 AM
Premium Member
 
Jeepster1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: West Central Illinois by the old Mississippi.
Posts: 3,726
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepermax View Post
UPDATE

Got the Cherokee back a couple of days ago. Looks like it was fitted with a rebuilt tranny ("R8314481AA Trans Kit - With Torque Converter"). I'm ok with that as long as it works well and is covered by the warranty - which it does and is. Btw - since I was outside of the 3/36 bumper-to-bumper coverage, this was covered under the 5/60 Powertrain warranty.

As far as how it feels and performs - it's super smooth and seems to be shifting at just the right moments - although the majority of the time I can't feel it shifting at all! The 1-2 and 2-3 shifts are extremely smooth so it’s pretty obvious there had to be some hardware improvement on the replacement tranny. It also does downshift smoothly into 2 when needed. Although I have to admit I didn't really miss 2 before. I suppose I just got so used to compensating by applying a bit more throttle when in third gear when I needed it. On the highway it very smoothly transitions from 6-7-8 and back when needed.

Post the last software update I had done about a year and half ago and before the latest issues, I was actually ok with the "old" trannys' performance. However, with this new unit in place, it's made me realize how harshly the prior tranny performed - in a number of ways. From harsh shifting/downshifting to clunky "garage shifting" (shifting from D to R for example) to just an overall rougher ride - even when applying the brakes (where the tranny releases from whatever gear it's in).

As for the new tranny, best way I can explain it is the Cherokee drives normally now - like a modern automobile with an auto tranny should drive and I suppose like it should have driven from the very beginning. So I'm quite pleased now - both with the new tranny and with how FCA has stepped up and made this right finally.
Sounds like you got a new hardware equipped, factory remanufactured transmission. You are as good as gold!

2014 Cherokee Limited 4x4
V6 w/ AD2
Tech Group (both parts)
Luxury Group
Tow Group
Navigation
Cherry Red
12/11/13 build
Max Care Life Service Plan
Jeepster1 is offline  
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 11:13 AM
Premium Member
 
ua_who's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Arizona
Posts: 859
Garage
Not to hijack the thread... but I figured I'd save another new thread: The dealer is now swapping out my transmission.

It never threw any codes. Never left me stranded. Took me through the roughest offroad trails.
And then started a rough (hard) downshift from 6 to 5, when under load. (i.e. when going uphill at freeway speeds and it had to downshift to maintain speed)

So I took it in. Figuring it was a minor thing. It drove fine and shifted fine in all other circumstances. We even drove it for another week after we first felt that.
Almost didn't take it in at all.....
and now...

replace entire transmission with new one.
41,000 miles. 2013 build date, bought in Dec 2013.


In some ways I guess it's nice, that it will be new and fixed for certain.
But now my wife is driving a rental 2017 2WD Limited Cherokee. And she's liking the new stuff we don't have.
Keyless start. Auto headlights. Better sound system. (she also says it's easier to get in and out of - no lift, no rock rails, etc. But that's a bad thing if you ask me)
And it's quicker too! Our TH and the rental are both 2.4l motors. But the extra weight of the TH makes a big difference when you're just scooting around for short trips to the grocery store.
Duke2015 likes this.


'14 White Cherokee TH - Grand Canyon Brown
1.5" aussie lift, RRO step rails, rear hatch LED lighting, 31" KO2's, New transmission
ua_who is offline  
 
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 11:55 AM
Forum Elder
 
Mark_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Québec, Canada
Posts: 3,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by ua_who View Post
Not to hijack the thread... but I figured I'd save another new thread: The dealer is now swapping out my transmission.

It never threw any codes. Never left me stranded. Took me through the roughest offroad trails.
And then started a rough (hard) downshift from 6 to 5, when under load. (i.e. when going uphill at freeway speeds and it had to downshift to maintain speed)

So I took it in. Figuring it was a minor thing. It drove fine and shifted fine in all other circumstances. We even drove it for another week after we first felt that.
Almost didn't take it in at all.....
and now...

replace entire transmission with new one.
41,000 miles. 2013 build date, bought in Dec 2013.


In some ways I guess it's nice, that it will be new and fixed for certain.
But now my wife is driving a rental 2017 2WD Limited Cherokee. And she's liking the new stuff we don't have.
Keyless start. Auto headlights. Better sound system. (she also says it's easier to get in and out of - no lift, no rock rails, etc. But that's a bad thing if you ask me)
And it's quicker too! Our TH and the rental are both 2.4l motors. But the extra weight of the TH makes a big difference when you're just scooting around for short trips to the grocery store.
Well... I see this as a positive (the tranny replacement). Sounds like a dog clutch, could very well be the snap ring... though I don't remember how all that works, but 6-5 (and 5-6) I'm pretty sure use a dog clutch.

Yes it's unfortunate to have such major work done, but on the other hand... you should be getting new hardware tranny with much improved shifting, with smoothness, and probably better longevity. Not sure how this can impact resale value, but I'm thinking it can't hurt.

Let us know how it drives with the new tranny !

Yeah the TH's extra wind resistance and extra weight do put more strain on the 2.4 for sure...

My avatar is the Elder Predator (goes well with my forum status and overall temper )
2015 North (Canada) - V6 - AD1
Cold, Tow, 8.4A, 9 speakers with sub
Mark_ is offline  
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 06:10 PM
Hardcore Member
 
wpgguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Posts: 1,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepermax View Post
UPDATE
As far as how it feels and performs - it's super smooth and seems to be shifting at just the right moments - although the majority of the time I can't feel it shifting at all! The 1-2 and 2-3 shifts are extremely smooth so it’s pretty obvious there had to be some hardware improvement on the replacement tranny.
Since day 1 I've had problems with my 2nd to 3rd gear shift, it ALWAYS results in a noticeable clunk which shakes the cabin. I'm used to it now (passengers aren't), but I was always told this was normal. The trust I have with my transmission is very little, especially knowing others are getting this problem resolved. I gave up on getting it fixed last year, about 12 trips to the dealer for the same issue and had the "couldnt replicate" even though I watched my jeep buck as it shifted from 2nd to 3rd as they were pulling back into the dealership. This was my first new car buying experience, and I don't know if I will buy another Jeep after this one considering my experience with them. Nobody has helped or tried to help my situation. I'm glad your transmission went while still under warranty. Mine seems to be hobbling along still, unfortunately I'm getting close to my warranty expiring.

Black Cherokee Sport 4x4 i4
Current Mileage: 56,000km
Ordered February 11th 2014 - Picked up May 2nd 2014
Unresolved transmission clunk 2nd to 3rd.
wpgguy is offline  
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 07:10 PM
Forum Elder
 
Array's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 4,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgguy View Post
.... Mine seems to be hobbling along still, unfortunately I'm getting close to my warranty expiring.
Are you getting close to 60 Months or 100,000 miles? If not, you're still okay under the powertrain warranty.

2015 White/Black Limited | 3.2-L V6 | Active Drive II | Tech Grp | Lux Grp | Trailer Tow Grp | SafetyTec | Uconect 8.4AN | 9 Speakers | Tonneau Cover | Born 09-06-14 : (( (( (( (( (( (( (( :
Array is online now  
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 08:04 PM
Hardcore Member
 
wpgguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Posts: 1,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Array View Post
Are you getting close to 60 Months or 100,000 miles? If not, you're still okay under the powertrain warranty.
For some reason I was under the impression my powertrain warranty was only 3 years - 60,000km. After looking into it, you're right. Gives me a little more insurance knowing it'll be covered but unfortunately it still doesn't fix my current problem unless it completely fails on me during this time.

Black Cherokee Sport 4x4 i4
Current Mileage: 56,000km
Ordered February 11th 2014 - Picked up May 2nd 2014
Unresolved transmission clunk 2nd to 3rd.
wpgguy is offline  
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 08:06 AM
Premium Member
 
Jeepster1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: West Central Illinois by the old Mississippi.
Posts: 3,726
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgguy View Post
Since day 1 I've had problems with my 2nd to 3rd gear shift, it ALWAYS results in a noticeable clunk which shakes the cabin. I'm used to it now (passengers aren't), but I was always told this was normal. The trust I have with my transmission is very little, especially knowing others are getting this problem resolved. I gave up on getting it fixed last year, about 12 trips to the dealer for the same issue and had the "couldnt replicate" even though I watched my jeep buck as it shifted from 2nd to 3rd as they were pulling back into the dealership. This was my first new car buying experience, and I don't know if I will buy another Jeep after this one considering my experience with them. Nobody has helped or tried to help my situation. I'm glad your transmission went while still under warranty. Mine seems to be hobbling along still, unfortunately I'm getting close to my warranty expiring.
Actually a noticeable clunk that shakes the cabin is not normal. Sounds like the dealer does not want to deal with it.
The problem is that is producing wear and is liable to fail at some point leaving you on the side of the road. I believe the lower dog clutch is located there and so is the suspect snap ring for that recall that removed 2 on the downshift. All pre mid 1015 production Cherokees are affected by this issue, mine included. Mid 2015 FCA started using a new hardware equipped transmissions in the Cherokee.
My Cherokee you can not even feel the 2/3 shift. In fact it is unnoticeable its even shifting. That is normal.
Have you tried Jeep Cares on this forum........
Also not sure up in Canada if your customer service center is there or in the US. But I would work that issue now and possibly get the transmission replace sooner rather than later.
I believe that dealer needs a little pressure to understand that is not normal and the vehicle is under warranty and needs to be fixed.
Please do not live with it as it is not normal and you will begin to hate that Jeep.

2014 Cherokee Limited 4x4
V6 w/ AD2
Tech Group (both parts)
Luxury Group
Tow Group
Navigation
Cherry Red
12/11/13 build
Max Care Life Service Plan
Jeepster1 is offline  
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 03:22 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepster1 View Post
The problem is that is producing wear and is liable to fail at some point leaving you on the side of the road.
Regarding my case, I can't help but think that all the clunkiness and rough shifting ect that Jeep considered normal early on may have had some degree of impact on longevity. Granted, the TSB software updates eventually mitigated most all of that. Or perhaps I got an overly flawed unit to begin with - who knows? Genuinely wish everyone that is in this same boat the best of luck with this.
Sleepermax is offline  
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 06:55 AM
Premium Member
 
Jeepster1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: West Central Illinois by the old Mississippi.
Posts: 3,726
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepermax View Post
Regarding my case, I can't help but think that all the clunkiness and rough shifting ect that Jeep considered normal early on may have had some degree of impact on longevity. Granted, the TSB software updates eventually mitigated most all of that. Or perhaps I got an overly flawed unit to begin with - who knows? Genuinely wish everyone that is in this same boat the best of luck with this.
Actually I am in that boat also with my 2014 but mine is fine so far.
You are correct about the longevity aspect in regards to the clunking etc.. That was/is producing wear in my opinion.
Once again the issue was a design flaw in the 2014-mid 2015 production ZF that Chrysler manufactured, in my opinion.
Mid 2015 production there was a design change in the hardware of the ZF from what I understand. That design change fixed the "durability issue" with Chrysler's version of the ZF. That "durability" issue was addressed in the RO1 update, I believe from the spring of 2015. I also would guess the hardware change revolved around the positioning of the snap ring in the lower dog clutch. There was a TSB concerning proper positioning of it and a stress test for it. But this is just my opinion of the situation from what I have read over the last couple of years.
Transmission issues are not to be accepted as normal especially once the warranty is up and the owner will be holding the repair bill and not Chrysler.
Just my humble opinion

2014 Cherokee Limited 4x4
V6 w/ AD2
Tech Group (both parts)
Luxury Group
Tow Group
Navigation
Cherry Red
12/11/13 build
Max Care Life Service Plan
Jeepster1 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the 2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



  Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gave it a wash David_Baker Owners' Garage 7 11-22-2015 08:47 AM
Finally Recalls for Transmission Problems? Stanley Transmission Discussion 6 09-08-2015 04:40 PM
Finally...Transmission Failure Data PeteB FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Recalls 49 06-19-2015 10:53 AM
Gave up the sports car for the Jeep (the wife won) K4rmalive New Member Introductions 22 04-11-2014 11:36 PM
Finally Girtygirl Cherokee Purchasing and Orders 16 12-26-2013 11:43 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On