First Brake Change Questions - 2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums
User Tag List

 2Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
wmoolah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 5
Garage
First Brake Change Questions

Can anyone tell me if I actually need to replace the Brake Caliper Bracket Bolts on my KL. I have seen conflicting information across the forum where some people say that it is a stretch torque type bolt and should be replaced everytime and other DIY brake instructions on our KL do not reference replacing these bolts with brand new bolts when you change the brakes. I am replacing both front and rear on my 2014 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk V6, Im at 52k miles and do tow somewhat frequently. Needless to say I think these are original brakes and they are gone. I am installing the Powerstop Z23 evolution sport kit K6540 for the front and K6542 in the rear, was able to snag a great deal from advanced auto for 335 for both kits.

If anyone has any advice on the Caliper Bracket Bolts or general brake change advice or can point me in the right direction of a good through DIY on the brakes that would be great.

And does anyone know why the search bar at the top of the forum page has disappeared.

14 Cherokee TH - WM
wmoolah is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 03:29 PM
Super Moderator
 
Len1304's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Hurst, Tx
Posts: 4,184
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmoolah View Post
Can anyone tell me if I actually need to replace the Brake Caliper Bracket Bolts on my KL. I have seen conflicting information across the forum where some people say that it is a stretch torque type bolt and should be replaced everytime and other DIY brake instructions on our KL do not reference replacing these bolts with brand new bolts when you change the brakes. I am replacing both front and rear on my 2014 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk V6, Im at 52k miles and do tow somewhat frequently. Needless to say I think these are original brakes and they are gone. I am installing the Powerstop Z23 evolution sport kit K6540 for the front and K6542 in the rear, was able to snag a great deal from advanced auto for 335 for both kits.



If anyone has any advice on the Caliper Bracket Bolts or general brake change advice or can point me in the right direction of a good through DIY on the brakes that would be great.



And does anyone know why the search bar at the top of the forum page has disappeared.


That front and rear kit together from amazon was only 230$. Sorry but I can't answer your question in regards to the bolts. I had a shop do mine when I got the z36 kit.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk v6 (TOTALED)
2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk v6

Contact me privately via Instagram @Len1304

Check out my album: http://s1168.photobucket.com/user/Len1304/story

http://jeepcherokeeclub.com/4-2014-2...rum-rules.html
Len1304 is offline  
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
wmoolah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 5
Garage
No prob thanks!! yeah amazon didn't have the kit for that one when I looked just them individually and not the Z23 for the front only the Z36, which I don't tow that much to need the 36.

14 Cherokee TH - WM
wmoolah is offline  
 
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator
 
Len1304's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Hurst, Tx
Posts: 4,184
Garage
This is the part number for the dual piston OE kit KOE6541 and this is the part number for the single piston OE kit KOE6539. Both are available pretty cheap on amazon. Either way, cheaper than the dealer kit. Best of luck finding out about the bolts. I think my kit came with new bolts.

2014 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk v6 (TOTALED)
2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk v6

Contact me privately via Instagram @Len1304

Check out my album: http://s1168.photobucket.com/user/Len1304/story

http://jeepcherokeeclub.com/4-2014-2...rum-rules.html
Len1304 is offline  
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 01:20 PM
Hardcore Member
 
Desoto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 598
Bolts are not required unless worn.
Fj4080 and 007 like this.
Desoto is offline  
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 12:12 AM
Premium Member
 
fusseli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: The Inland NW, USA
Posts: 773
Garage
I've never heard of replacing brake bolts, or seen it recommended. I have seen it recommended for suspension bolts but that's different.
fusseli is offline  
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 07:14 PM
Enthusiast Member
 
Alfrik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Markham
Posts: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Len1304 View Post
That front and rear kit together from amazon was only 230$. Sorry but I can't answer your question in regards to the bolts. I had a shop do mine when I got the z36 kit.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Did yours come with the calipers, rotors and pads?

Power Stop KC2164A-36 Z36 1-Click Truck and Tow Brake Kit (with Carbon-Ceramic Pads, Drilled and Slotted Rotors and Powder Coated Calipers) https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01CFL638O/..._jQIhzb0HGEA6D

\ | | | | | | | /

"Hawkeye" 2016 Granite Crystal Metallic TH, 3.2L, Cold Weather group, Tow group, Premium Leather group, 8.4AN HID Headlight upgrade Build date: 09/2015, BFG KO2 265/65/17, RRO Winch mount, RRO Super sliders.

Alfrik is offline  
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 07:51 PM
Super Moderator
 
Len1304's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Hurst, Tx
Posts: 4,184
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfrik View Post
Did yours come with the calipers, rotors and pads?

Power Stop KC2164A-36 Z36 1-Click Truck and Tow Brake Kit (with Carbon-Ceramic Pads, Drilled and Slotted Rotors and Powder Coated Calipers) https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01CFL638O/..._jQIhzb0HGEA6D


I did not get calipers.

This is the kit I got.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01E1JTZFG?tag=vglnkc6454-20


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk v6 (TOTALED)
2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk v6

Contact me privately via Instagram @Len1304

Check out my album: http://s1168.photobucket.com/user/Len1304/story

http://jeepcherokeeclub.com/4-2014-2...rum-rules.html
Len1304 is offline  
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 07:53 PM
Super Moderator
 
Len1304's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Hurst, Tx
Posts: 4,184
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfrik View Post
Did yours come with the calipers, rotors and pads?

Power Stop KC2164A-36 Z36 1-Click Truck and Tow Brake Kit (with Carbon-Ceramic Pads, Drilled and Slotted Rotors and Powder Coated Calipers) https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01CFL638O/..._jQIhzb0HGEA6D


The kit you've linked doesn't say it fits a Cherokee on the powerstop website.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk v6 (TOTALED)
2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk v6

Contact me privately via Instagram @Len1304

Check out my album: http://s1168.photobucket.com/user/Len1304/story

http://jeepcherokeeclub.com/4-2014-2...rum-rules.html
Len1304 is offline  
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 10:01 AM
Enthusiast Member
 
Alfrik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Markham
Posts: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Len1304 View Post
The kit you've linked doesn't say it fits a Cherokee on the powerstop website.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good catch, thanks. I'm likely going to need pads and at least one new rotor soon. Braking feels like I've got one warping.

\ | | | | | | | /

"Hawkeye" 2016 Granite Crystal Metallic TH, 3.2L, Cold Weather group, Tow group, Premium Leather group, 8.4AN HID Headlight upgrade Build date: 09/2015, BFG KO2 265/65/17, RRO Winch mount, RRO Super sliders.

Alfrik is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the 2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



  Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"change oil soon" warning 2000 miles after last change hwstock Engine and Technical Discussion 17 03-17-2016 06:37 PM
2 questions sonny_tmcf 2014+ Jeep Cherokee General Discussion 3 01-24-2015 07:14 PM
2 questions sonny_tmcf Interior 6 01-24-2015 07:03 PM
Few Questions irishmark 2014+ Jeep Cherokee General Discussion 6 08-07-2014 05:26 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On