Adjustable Sway Bar End Links with Quick Disconnect - Page 2 - 2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums
User Tag List

 71Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 77 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 12:01 PM
Enthusiast Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: SoCal
Posts: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler-98-W68 View Post
This is for the rear, any chance for the front, I would think the front would gain from more flex since there is no locker up front.
From the post it looks like you can get them in pairs for both front and rear
henry2513 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 77 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 12:12 PM
Moderator
 
HazzardSky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Posts: 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warloq View Post
Soooo, you are saying that the lifts are not as 'harmless' to warranty and components as originally promised? I guess I'm missing if this is required with the lifts to prevent damage to other components, or if it's just a nice to do for increased travel?

I've been working with some very well-knowledged Jeep folks about the lift over the past few months, and the overwhelming consensus is that sway bar links are not necessary for such a small lift. If we go 2" or above of lift, then it become an issue. As it stands now, we get a slightly stiffer sway, but otherwise the function of the sway bar is mostly unharmed, and the stress on components is minimal and reasonable. This same logic applies to most jeeps, as sway bar links are not deemed a necessity until going over 2-3". This is why personally for my kit, I stayed with a slightly lower lift amount in the rear than what is technically possible.

While the example posted is referencing wranglers, keep in mind the vastly different amount of stock travel the suspension can undergo. Due to the design of our vehicles, I'm not sure our suspension can at all travel far enough to detrimentally twist the sway bar, much less flip it.

Having quick-disconnect links can be handy when offroad, though I personally would want to consider the wear on the joints, as disconnecting the links would have the suspension at some weird angles not at all intended from factory, and when combined with the pretty extreme forces we can put on our vehicles, I might not be comfortable with that without doing some further research. It might turn out to be fine, and that would be cool, but I haven't done the specific research in to that, as at the moment, it is a nice thing to have, but not at all necessary.

To summarize:
Our vehicles, with the small amount of lift we are working with at this time, should not require new sway bar links.
Sway bar disconnects might be a great idea, or an inadvisable one, and some more research will need to be done to determine that. I'm interested, but hesitant. Running up a ramp is very different from going down a trail.

Overall, be safe and reasonable with your vehicle, both on and off road, and you'll be fine. Take it rough and crazy, and you'll run in to problems, lift or no.

2003 Laredo
Onyx Green | 4.0l i6 | Tow | Selec-Trac |

Mods: 2.5" Hazard Sky Lift | 31" KO2 Tires | Rugged Ridge Diff Covers | Lubelocker Seals | Hitchgate Solo Rear Mount | Led Lighting | Spyder Headlamps | CB/ham | Yakima Rack |

Baltimore, MD

Lift Kit Ordering Info

Overland M101a2 Trailer Build Log

HazzardSky is offline  
post #13 of 77 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 12:16 PM
Hardcore Member
 
Warloq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: O'Fallon IL
Posts: 626
Garage
Thanks Hazzard and MFC - makes more sense now, and I'm returning to the "interested" flock for the lift. Still have not convinced the Dept of Treasury, but I'm further ahead on this than a couple of other ideas...
Xinarin13 likes this.

2015 Trailhawk
3.2 V6; Cherry Red; 17" Black Wheels; Black Interior; Ventilated Cow Seat; Trailer Tow Grp; Cold WX Grp; Tech Grp; Safety Grp; Comfort Grp; Pano Sunroof; Uconnect 8.4AN; 9x Speakers; and a Partridge in a Pear Tree!
Added: RRO Step-Rails; Rage Crossbars; Rage Stingray low profile roof cargo basket
Planned: Brush Guard w/ Winch (if I can de-conflict tech & airbags)
Warloq is offline  
 
post #14 of 77 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 12:19 PM
Moderator
 
HazzardSky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Posts: 579
In case you have any doubts, I've done this trail twice now, which really tests front and rear suspension, and the KL sits on two wheels total for much of this hill. No issues whatsoever. Again with our minimal lift, no links necessary.



PSImonSays and sgrim like this.

2003 Laredo
Onyx Green | 4.0l i6 | Tow | Selec-Trac |

Mods: 2.5" Hazard Sky Lift | 31" KO2 Tires | Rugged Ridge Diff Covers | Lubelocker Seals | Hitchgate Solo Rear Mount | Led Lighting | Spyder Headlamps | CB/ham | Yakima Rack |

Baltimore, MD

Lift Kit Ordering Info

Overland M101a2 Trailer Build Log

HazzardSky is offline  
post #15 of 77 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 12:29 PM
Hardcore Member
 
Tyler-98-W68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Saskatchewan
Posts: 631
Garage
Great right up Hazzard Sky, i'll speak with my experience from my Compass and removing the swaybar helped articulation in the front by about 2" There was nothing ever made for adjustable links so I just ran the front off all the time, and there was no ill effects handling while on road. The only issue was that I did offroad a lot and my CV axles were trashed in about 10000 kms. The KL ones do look more robust but I'm not sure if its worth it in the end to remove them.


This is a lifted Patriot with sway bars on





This is my Compass with the front Sway bar off





There was a gain and it was noticeable, but like I said before the axles didn't enjoy the extra angles offroad.
sgrim and Duke2015 like this.

2016 Cherokee Trailhawk V6
Rhino
AFE Intake
Flowmaster Super 10 Muffler
Northstar Deepcycle AGM Battery
Noco Onboard Charger
245/70/70 Falken Wildpweak AT3/W
Trailer Tow
Sunroof
Nav & 9 Amplified Speakers

2014 Cherokee Limited V6 ADII (Wife's)
White
TH Wheels
245/65/17 Falken Wildpeak AT3/W
Trailer Tow
Luxury Package
Technology Package
Sunroof
Nav & 9 Amplified Speakers
LED Fog Lights
Tyler-98-W68 is offline  
post #16 of 77 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 02:39 PM
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: NOVA (Ashburn), VA
Posts: 2,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by HazzardSky View Post
To summarize:
Our vehicles, with the small amount of lift we are working with at this time, should not require new sway bar links.
Sway bar disconnects might be a great idea, or an inadvisable one, and some more research will need to be done to determine that. I'm interested, but hesitant. Running up a ramp is very different from going down a trail.

Overall, be safe and reasonable with your vehicle, both on and off road, and you'll be fine. Take it rough and crazy, and you'll run in to problems, lift or no.
"You are performing a DIY modification to your vehicle, knowing that it isn't blessed by Jeep. If you break it, you own both pieces. If you aren't comfortable with the idea, don't do it."
sgrim and HazzardSky like this.

'15 Deep Cherry Red TH w/Brown Interior. 3.2L V-6
Safety-Tec, Cold Weather, Technology, Comfort, Tow, Leather.
Gobi Stealth roof rack with ladder.
My testing platform for electronics/telemetry experimenting.
Rojhan is online now  
post #17 of 77 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 03:23 PM
Moderator
 
HazzardSky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Posts: 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler-98-W68 View Post
Great right up Hazzard Sky, i'll speak with my experience from my Compass and removing the swaybar helped articulation in the front by about 2" There was nothing ever made for adjustable links so I just ran the front off all the time, and there was no ill effects handling while on road. The only issue was that I did offroad a lot and my CV axles were trashed in about 10000 kms. The KL ones do look more robust but I'm not sure if its worth it in the end to remove them.


This is a lifted Patriot with sway bars on





This is my Compass with the front Sway bar off





There was a gain and it was noticeable, but like I said before the axles didn't enjoy the extra angles offroad.
And this is exactly why i'm very hesitant to consider disconnecting the links on our vehicles.

2003 Laredo
Onyx Green | 4.0l i6 | Tow | Selec-Trac |

Mods: 2.5" Hazard Sky Lift | 31" KO2 Tires | Rugged Ridge Diff Covers | Lubelocker Seals | Hitchgate Solo Rear Mount | Led Lighting | Spyder Headlamps | CB/ham | Yakima Rack |

Baltimore, MD

Lift Kit Ordering Info

Overland M101a2 Trailer Build Log

HazzardSky is offline  
post #18 of 77 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member
 
myfirstcherokee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Rockaway, NJ
Posts: 2,109
The disconnect functions more so to level out the vehicle as you crawl over uneven terrain. It allows the suspension to be as independent as possible.

When considering the physics of our lift, consider the following:

As you are flexing with the sway bar end links disconnected, one tire tucks into the fender area and one extends out. The tucked tire will bring the CB angle back to straight. This tire will be experiencing forces from crawling and have no affect on the cv. The other tire that is flexed out while I. The air will extend the cv joint more than normal, but will not be experiencing any forces other than the weight of the tire. This should be negligible to the longevity of the cv.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sPod Integration
AirLift Rear Air Suspension
7 Channel Kicker Speaker Upgrade
ARB Hidden Compressor
Radar Integration
Vision X Lighting 10 Watt LED Fog Lights
HD Front, Interior & Rear Lukas Dash Cams
Rola Vortex Cargo Basket on Whispbars with Front/Rear LED Light Bars
40 MM Deyeme Racing Spacers
RRO Super Sliders, Front Bumper Bar & Brush Kit
Warn VR8000S Wireless Winch
Klustom Designs 1.5" Lift Kit
32" 255/75R17 BFGoodrich Mud Terrains
myfirstcherokee is offline  
post #19 of 77 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member
 
myfirstcherokee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Rockaway, NJ
Posts: 2,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by HazzardSky View Post
I've been working with some very well-knowledged Jeep folks about the lift over the past few months, and the overwhelming consensus is that sway bar links are not necessary for such a small lift. If we go 2" or above of lift, then it become an issue. As it stands now, we get a slightly stiffer sway, but otherwise the function of the sway bar is mostly unharmed, and the stress on components is minimal and reasonable. This same logic applies to most jeeps, as sway bar links are not deemed a necessity until going over 2-3". This is why personally for my kit, I stayed with a slightly lower lift amount in the rear than what is technically possible.

While the example posted is referencing wranglers, keep in mind the vastly different amount of stock travel the suspension can undergo. Due to the design of our vehicles, I'm not sure our suspension can at all travel far enough to detrimentally twist the sway bar, much less flip it.

Having quick-disconnect links can be handy when offroad, though I personally would want to consider the wear on the joints, as disconnecting the links would have the suspension at some weird angles not at all intended from factory, and when combined with the pretty extreme forces we can put on our vehicles, I might not be comfortable with that without doing some further research. It might turn out to be fine, and that would be cool, but I haven't done the specific research in to that, as at the moment, it is a nice thing to have, but not at all necessary.

To summarize:
Our vehicles, with the small amount of lift we are working with at this time, should not require new sway bar links.
Sway bar disconnects might be a great idea, or an inadvisable one, and some more research will need to be done to determine that. I'm interested, but hesitant. Running up a ramp is very different from going down a trail.

Overall, be safe and reasonable with your vehicle, both on and off road, and you'll be fine. Take it rough and crazy, and you'll run in to problems, lift or no.
I hear ya Ryan. The pictures posted were from a Wrangler that had a 2" lift. Nonetheless, we are pretty close to that 2" number. From my understanding, the twisting out of the sway bar happens downward and not upward. This is caused by lifting the vehicle, pulling the sway bar further down since the links are anchored to the axle.

By having them adjustable, you can bring it back to the factory position, have the ability to disconnect if you want, and tighten up roll since the thickness is 100% thicker.

sPod Integration
AirLift Rear Air Suspension
7 Channel Kicker Speaker Upgrade
ARB Hidden Compressor
Radar Integration
Vision X Lighting 10 Watt LED Fog Lights
HD Front, Interior & Rear Lukas Dash Cams
Rola Vortex Cargo Basket on Whispbars with Front/Rear LED Light Bars
40 MM Deyeme Racing Spacers
RRO Super Sliders, Front Bumper Bar & Brush Kit
Warn VR8000S Wireless Winch
Klustom Designs 1.5" Lift Kit
32" 255/75R17 BFGoodrich Mud Terrains
myfirstcherokee is offline  
post #20 of 77 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 05:48 PM
Hardcore Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Minnesnowta
Posts: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by myfirstcherokee View Post
The disconnect functions more so to level out the vehicle as you crawl over uneven terrain. It allows the suspension to be as independent as possible.

When considering the physics of our lift, consider the following:

As you are flexing with the sway bar end links disconnected, one tire tucks into the fender area and one extends out. The tucked tire will bring the CB angle back to straight. This tire will be experiencing forces from crawling and have no affect on the cv. The other tire that is flexed out while I. The air will extend the cv joint more than normal, but will not be experiencing any forces other than the weight of the tire. This should be negligible to the longevity of the cv.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm not sure you quite understand what a CV axle is, how it works, and what can cause it to fail...

2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk - 2004 Honda S2000 - 2007 Honda Accord EX-L Navi (wife)
SamDoe1 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the 2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



  Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Front Sway Bar Disconnect henry2513 Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension 7 06-03-2016 05:35 PM
Sway Bar Disconnect?? Meeko 2014+ Jeep Cherokee General Discussion 2 02-11-2016 04:04 PM
Sway bar links Backwoods Raider Off-Road 3 12-19-2015 09:50 AM
Sway Bar Disconnect zzjdzz Off-Road 12 05-01-2015 12:32 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On