A day or two or three after Xmas I want to go on a short road trip, just me and my dog in my truck, light overlanding, and do either some camping or stay at small hotels near cool sights. Not sure how many nights. 1 to 4.
I live in the Bay Area and go to Tahoe every week, the path I take makes it ~700 miles a week, so I'm no stranger to long trips and adventure. (And staying safe and being prepared!)
I was thinking of heading up to Black Rock Desert to camp on the playa and check out the abandoned ghost towns, but after some research it seems temperatures can drop below 0 and mud an become an issue in early Jan. So scratch that.
I'm open to idea though! Very flexible!
- San Luis Obispo (Can drive on the ocean beach at Oceano Dunes SVRA and it's not too cold!!!)
- Mojave National Preserve
- Joshua Tree National Park
- Arlington Mine, Near the Colorado River Valley (light offroading required, nothing extreme)
- Anza Borrego Desert State Park
- Owens Valley
- Moabi Regional Park
- Colorado River Valley
- Mendocino (I know some good spots)
- Six Rivers National Forest
- Los Padres National Forest
I also know of EIGHT beaches in NorCal you can camp/drive on.
I hope someone will hit me up! Let's have an adventure.