Finally got around to removing the right side Tow/Recovery Hook this afternoon. For anyone who wants to know, this is how you can remove them with no fascia removal required.
3/8" ratchet wrench
8" wobble extension
1/2" to 3/8" socket adapter
30mm socket (1/2" drive) - for large nut on end of hook, there is blue loc-tite on this nut
16mm socket - for two front bolts on each hook
13mm scoket - for front skid plate bolts
1) Loosen the three leading edge front skid plate mounting bolts about 3/4". Remove the four trailing edge bolts completely. Lift up on the trailing edge of the plate and slide the plate off of the three front bolts.
2) Break the large left side hook nut loose with the 30mm socket. No more than a turn should be needed with the wrench to break the thread locker loose. Remove by hand once loosened.
3) You can get to the large nut on the right side hook by reaching into a gap between the wheel liner and some frame/body components. I used the 1/2" to 3/8" socket adapter with the 30mm socket and the 3/8" ratchet. A 1/2" ratchet would likely be too big to get in there and try to turn.
4) Remove the inboard front hook bolt from each of the hooks.
5) Loosen the outboard front hook bolts from each of the hooks enough so the hook can slide to the rear. The front fascia will be interfering with this bolt a bit. The wobble extension and a little pushing will get you onto the bolt. Once the hooks have been slid toward the rear, turn the two outboard bolts snug to get the heads out of the way.
6) With a little rotation and some gentle pulling, the hooks will come right out the front.
Reassembly is the reverse.
Granite Crystal 2014 TH 3.2
- Tech/Comfort/Conv/Tow and Leather Groups
- Sunrooof, Hood Decal, UC 8.4, 9 Spkr w/CD
Mods and Additions:
- 265/65R17 BFG A/T KO2's
- Front Runner 57.5" Rack
- HazzardSky Lift
- hehateme2812 A-Pillar mounts
- RRO Supersliders
- Rigid SAE/DOT fog lights w/JK mounts
- Rigid 10" amber SR2 front driving pattern bar
- Rigid SR Diffused Backup Lights
- L/R Rear factory fog lights
- 48" Hi-Lift Rescue Jack mounted on rear seat backs
- Viair 450C w/3 gallon tank