Air cabin filter - 2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums
User Tag List

 6Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast Member
 
Alfrik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Markham
Posts: 391
Air cabin filter

I picked up two filters from Amazon, one for Hawkeye, and one for my Wife's 2016 200. Now to go get trim removal tools. I cursed far too much for a simple filter replacement getting that plastic trim rivet out.

\ | | | | | | | /

"Hawkeye" 2016 Granite Crystal Metallic TH, 3.2L, Cold Weather group, Tow group, Premium Leather group, 8.4AN HID Headlight upgrade Build date: 09/2015, BFG KO2 265/65/17, RRO Winch mount, RRO Super sliders.

Alfrik is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 06:53 PM
Hardcore Member
 
jamie1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 853
What plastic rivet? Nothing has to come off, other than the side cover and it has 2 clips. You just give it a sharp pull and off it comes.
CherokeeBlonde likes this.
jamie1 is offline  
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 07:38 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Newcastle Ontario
Posts: 24
Which one did you get? I ordered one from Ebay from China and it never showed up. Recently had a recall done and had them change the filter at the tune of $81 for part and labour :-(
Thaiwoo is offline  
 
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 12:11 PM
Enthusiast Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 209
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaiwoo View Post
Recently had a recall done and had them change the filter at the tune of $81 for part and labour :-(
That seems extremely high for just the cabin air filter, the part should only be about 20-30 and labour would be only about 5 minutes, I would suggest that you speak to wherever you had the filter changed and question them on the cost.

2016 Jeep Cherokee Limited
True Blue w/ Black Leather
3.2L V6 w/ AD1, Luxury Group, Trailer Tow Group, Uconnect 8.4AN, 9 Amplified Speakers with Subwoofer

josh6025 is offline  
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 12:53 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: WI
Posts: 73
Woa, my dealer charged me 30 some dollars with tax for OEM and none for labor since they said it was a 5 minute job.

They didn't even want me to change it so early (I did at 15k ish) thinking it would be a waste of money. I told them that I drove through a lot of construction zones with lots of dust in the air. They took the filter out for inspection free of charge. They were surprised how dirty the filter already was.
aaridici is offline  
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 07:26 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Newcastle Ontario
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh6025 View Post
That seems extremely high for just the cabin air filter, the part should only be about 20-30 and labor would be only about 5 minutes, I would suggest that you speak to wherever you had the filter changed and question them on the cost.
It seems the dealer prices are all over. They quoted me $81. High but I wanted it done. Had an oil change done as well. At the end I had sticker shock and just wanted to get the heck out of there. On the way home I noticed they did not even reset oil life.....

Looking further at the bill I noticed they did the engine air filter as well even though that I did not ask for it and charged me $120 for the cabin filter exchange. When I called I was asked, "so you want a refund?" Heck yeah. So back I went.
@aaridici I assume your some $30's are US, fairly close to what paid for the filter here in Canada. Except you did not pay for installation.
Thaiwoo is offline  
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 09:30 PM
Member
 
40_over_S9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Southeast Pennsylvania
Posts: 24
Has anyone tried the "Fresh Breeze" cabin air filter that contains carbon and baking soda (to help neutralize odors) -- and if so, does the specified type CF12000 fit well in the KL?

http://www.framfreshbreeze.com/faq.aspx

I've been using Mann carbon cabin air filters in my Jetta for several years, and they do absorb unpleasant exhaust fumes, etc. but still need to be replaced annually. I'd like to find a similar product for the Cherokee.

2016 Jeep Cherokee Latitude (7/15 build)
AD1, 3.2L V6
Tow and Cold Weather groups, UConnect 8.4
Yaesu FT-857D HF/VHF/UHF Transceiver w/Little Tarheel HP "screwdriver" antenna
Icom ID-880H 2m/70cm D-Star/FM Transceiver w/Diamond SG7500A antenna
40_over_S9 is offline  
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 10:07 PM
Enthusiast Member
 
jeepfan4x4's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40_over_S9 View Post
Has anyone tried the "Fresh Breeze" cabin air filter that contains carbon and baking soda (to help neutralize odors) -- and if so, does the specified type CF12000 fit well in the KL?

http://www.framfreshbreeze.com/faq.aspx

I've been using Mann carbon cabin air filters in my Jetta for several years, and they do absorb unpleasant exhaust fumes, etc. but still need to be replaced annually. I'd like to find a similar product for the Cherokee.


I know others on here have used it as well, but yes it fit good and was easy to install and a good quality filter.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
40_over_S9 likes this.
jeepfan4x4 is offline  
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 10:44 PM
Enthusiast Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 209
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaiwoo View Post
It seems the dealer prices are all over. They quoted me $81. High but I wanted it done. Had an oil change done as well. At the end I had sticker shock and just wanted to get the heck out of there. On the way home I noticed they did not even reset oil life.....

Looking further at the bill I noticed they did the engine air filter as well even though that I did not ask for it and charged me $120 for the cabin filter exchange. When I called I was asked, "so you want a refund?" Heck yeah. So back I went.
@aaridici I assume your some $30's are US, fairly close to what paid for the filter here in Canada. Except you did not pay for installation.
When I had the engine air filter changed in my Patriot they charged me $30 for the part and they said they would do the cabin filter for $30 as well but I had already gotten a new filter for it; I was not charged any labour since it was already in having the oil change done.

2016 Jeep Cherokee Limited
True Blue w/ Black Leather
3.2L V6 w/ AD1, Luxury Group, Trailer Tow Group, Uconnect 8.4AN, 9 Amplified Speakers with Subwoofer

josh6025 is offline  
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 08:25 AM
Premium Member
 
Jeepster1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: West Central Illinois by the old Mississippi.
Posts: 3,725
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfrik View Post
I picked up two filters from Amazon, one for Hawkeye, and one for my Wife's 2016 200. Now to go get trim removal tools. I cursed far too much for a simple filter replacement getting that plastic trim rivet out.
Actually there is a u-tube video on how to do it. Also on this forum there are detailed instructions on how to do it.
I did mine for the first time last year and still struggled a bit as there is a trick to doing it.
It just involves wiggling the cover under the glove box just enough to carefully pop the side cover panel off and remove it.
Just be careful with the clip holding the filter in as it will break if forced.
This time when I do it it will be 10 minutes or less to change it.
But just one word of caution: There is an air bag located around that glove box.
Also I picked up 2 filters through e-bay dirt cheap. They look identical to the OEM one.
I do plan on changing them 1x a year after I saw what the OEM one looked like after 2 years.

2014 Cherokee Limited 4x4
V6 w/ AD2
Tech Group (both parts)
Luxury Group
Tow Group
Navigation
Cherry Red
12/11/13 build
Max Care Life Service Plan
Jeepster1 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the 2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



  Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Engine Air Filter + Cabin Filter... Are these up to OEM Spec? XtremeModder Engine and Technical Discussion 6 04-13-2016 06:27 PM
Engine Air Filter and cabin air filter replacement crozep Owners' Garage 10 04-10-2016 08:54 AM
When to change air and cabin filter? XtremeModder Engine and Technical Discussion 11 02-12-2016 08:16 AM
Cabin Air Filter Jerryh Owners' Garage 2 03-05-2015 03:00 PM
cabin air filter? usnret Engine and Technical Discussion 5 02-05-2014 02:06 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On