CANBus Source Triggered Relay - Page 2 - 2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums
User Tag List

 10Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 11:20 AM
Forum Elder
 
Mark_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Québec, Canada
Posts: 4,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS_Syndicate View Post
@Mark_ The better option is just getting together somewhere and exploring/wheeling then it's just a hand-off! Seems like a good excuse for a road trip as any!
Yeah... sure... lol. Can't remember where you are exactly, but likely a 2 or 3 day drive from here, haha. And wheeling with my stock AD1 Latitude... especially after looking at that video where the Wrangler flips back... yikes... outch... $$$... well I'm kinda thinking no at this point

My avatar is the Elder Predator (goes well with my forum status and overall temper )
2015 North (Canada) - V6 - AD1
Cold, Tow, 8.4A, 9 speakers with sub
Mark_ is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
Premium Member
 
SS_Syndicate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 599
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_ View Post
Yeah... sure... lol. Can't remember where you are exactly, but likely a 2 or 3 day drive from here, haha. And wheeling with my stock AD1 Latitude... especially after looking at that video where the Wrangler flips back... yikes... outch... $$$... well I'm kinda thinking no at this point
We are in southern Ohio... but we get around... anything within an 18 hour drive is considered doable to us on a long weekend.

...about a year ago....

Mark_ likes this.

SS_Syndicate is offline  
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 12:10 PM
Forum Elder
 
Mark_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Québec, Canada
Posts: 4,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS_Syndicate View Post
We are in southern Ohio... but we get around... anything within an 18 hour drive is considered doable to us on a long weekend.

...about a year ago....
Oh yeah, well... pffft... that looks like my driveway, no worries !

That's insane. Lots of hobby $$ in those things, holy moly...

Great vid by the way !
SS_Syndicate likes this.

My avatar is the Elder Predator (goes well with my forum status and overall temper )
2015 North (Canada) - V6 - AD1
Cold, Tow, 8.4A, 9 speakers with sub
Mark_ is offline  
 
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 12:18 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: DFW
Posts: 86
This looks to be exactly what I've been looking to build for my aux reverse lights. I decided a while back to add some flush mount LED packs in the rear bumper to come on with the reverse lights. Problem was I wanted to turn them on independent o of the reverse lights for rear area lighting in camp. This appears to be the exactly solution to my problem.
SS_Syndicate likes this.
Pitcherman is offline  
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 01:42 PM
Forum Elder
 
Array's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 4,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS_Syndicate View Post
@Mark_.... I think the system is just measuring the impedance. This is why adding more stuff can trigger messages or faults. I am aware some devices have additional circuitry in them to report more intelligent responses than "bad", but I don't know which ones or exactly how.

To be completely honest, it's these unknowns that prompted me to just use these anytime I am tapping into a source wire. It's my way of getting the signal and doing my best to leave the CANBus stuff alone.

Another full disclosure: If the system was measuring current it could still have issues with the added relay. This said, I have used dozens of these and never seen this. It has fixed all CANBus related flickers, chatters, buzzes, and messages to date.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_ View Post
Fair enough, and thanks for taking the time to explain.

I will tap into the high beam wire for the relay, as many other members here have done - with no known (to me) problems - to trigger a relay for added lights. I will put my ear to the relay and watch closely for any sign of... whatever abnormal. And if I notice anything, expect a call from me
FWIW, found this info on the type of current used in the headlamp circuits:

The headlamp system includes the IC, the Steering Control Module (SCM), the BCM, the headlamp switch
and the multi-function switch on the steering column. The headlamp bulbs have a path to ground at all times
through their connection to the FEM (Front End Module) wire harness. .... The BCM will store a Diagnostic
Trouble Code (DTC) for any shorts or opens in the headlamp circuits.
The BCM monitors a hard wired multiplex input to determine the status of the headlamp switch. The BCM
also monitors electronic headlamp beam select switch status messages received from the SCM over the
CAN data bus. The BCM responds to these inputs by providing a pulse width modulated voltage output to
the headlamp bulbs
through high side drivers on the right and left headlamp feed circuits to illuminate the
headlamps, and controls the high and low beam shutter operation through high side drivers on the right and
left high beam feed circuits. The BCM also sends the appropriate electronic headlamp beam status
messages to the IC to control the illumination of the high beam indicator.
Mark_ likes this.

2015 White/Black Limited | 3.2-L V6 | Active Drive II | Tech Grp | Lux Grp | Trailer Tow Grp | SafetyTec | Uconect 8.4AN | 9 Speakers | Tonneau Cover | Born 09-06-14 : (( (( (( (( (( (( (( :
Array is online now  
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member
 
SS_Syndicate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 599
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Array View Post
FWIW, found this info on the type of current used in the headlamp circuits:

The headlamp system includes the IC, the Steering Control Module (SCM), the BCM, the headlamp switch
and the multi-function switch on the steering column. The headlamp bulbs have a path to ground at all times
through their connection to the FEM (Front End Module) wire harness. .... The BCM will store a Diagnostic
Trouble Code (DTC) for any shorts or opens in the headlamp circuits.
The BCM monitors a hard wired multiplex input to determine the status of the headlamp switch. The BCM
also monitors electronic headlamp beam select switch status messages received from the SCM over the
CAN data bus. The BCM responds to these inputs by providing a pulse width modulated voltage output to
the headlamp bulbs
through high side drivers on the right and left headlamp feed circuits to illuminate the
headlamps, and controls the high and low beam shutter operation through high side drivers on the right and
left high beam feed circuits. The BCM also sends the appropriate electronic headlamp beam status
messages to the IC to control the illumination of the high beam indicator.
See! That's a whole lotta stuff I'd rather not bother with

SS_Syndicate is offline  
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member
 
SS_Syndicate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 599
Garage
@IRSmart This is for you... I couldn't figure out how to attach in the PM and didn't want to upload anywhere...

Edit to add.... this doesn't show any fusing that should be done.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IRSmart.png
Views:	21
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	160329  

SS_Syndicate is offline  
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 02:45 PM
Hardcore Member
 
IRSmart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 922
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS_Syndicate View Post
@IRSmart This is for you... I couldn't figure out how to attach in the PM and didn't want to upload anywhere...

Edit to add.... this doesn't show any fusing that should be done.
looks like the drawing i sketched up, just cleaner and yeah, i forgot to show the fuses as well. thanks for throwing that together for me!
SS_Syndicate likes this.

2015 Latitude V6 AD-II
Mods: List was getting too long for my sig, check out my garage for a full list of mods

Official test car for the SmartStopStart module program
IRSmart is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the 2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



  Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Open source automotive movement Macchina Engine and Technical Discussion 0 03-13-2017 07:10 PM
Relay for LED lights tbrou6229 Electronics, Audio, and Lighting 12 08-31-2016 10:16 PM

FOR SALE

HID Headlights CANBUS Fix
pjames074 Cherokee (KL) Parts & Accessories 0 12-07-2015 11:24 AM
Led lights/CanBus Cable vs. Resistor Cable? ironsied Electronics, Audio, and Lighting 3 11-23-2015 03:18 PM
Audible Notification - Source Unknown Easternshore Electronics, Audio, and Lighting 16 12-26-2014 05:04 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On