Wow! That looks awesome. I would be very interested in any info on how to do that with my latitude.
Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
can you do a write up on how to achieve this.. very interested .. looks bad ass.great job..
I made up some drawings the best I could on how I made the brackets for the tow hooks. I have access to scrap steel plating and welders, cutters, grinders etc. so this was fairly easy for me. It is really important to get them positioned just right so my front bumper had to get installed a few times to get the placement of all the parts just right before welding.
I am typically a purist when it comes to swapping parts so it killed me to use F150 tow hooks but their design made sense for the way I wanted to mount them. The tow hooks are from a 2010 F150. In my fabrication, I made both sides at the same time.
First I had to modify the lower grille by cutting out the outer sections of its honeycomb. there are two ways you can do this. The first is to cut to the first contour which is a lot easier than cutting the honeycomb out only as you will be left with holes where the honeycomb attached. I wanted a deeper inlet so I went with the harder second option. I had to reinforce behind the holes with mesh and used a two part bumper plastic filler to fill any holes. This took many hours as it needed to be sanded many times to get it smooth. I also had the electronic shutter as I have the cold weather package. I had to cut out the openings in the sides of this too.
The first Illustration shows the extension below the bumper on the right side. I removed this and made a new base plate out of thicker steel plate using the old piece as a guide.(Illustration #2)
I then had to make the inside side brace from the same plate steel as the base plate. You will note in the design that there has to be a bend to clear the lines that run in beside this bracket. I used one piece of steel and bent it accordingly to keep its strength.(Illustration #3)
I positioned and welded the inside brace on the back plate to clear the line, while just pressing lightly against the plastic outer radiator shroud.(Illustration #4). Before welding, I installed the bumper to make sure the tow hook was centred in the hole.
I then cut a similar sized piece of square steel tubing as the original extension and welded in the almost identical position of its original piece. The tow hook has to fit snuggly between the square tube and the inner brace. (Illustration #5)
Next, I installed the bumper again to position the tow hook before welding it.(Illustration #6) The whole bracket and tow hook assembly was removed and painted and then reinstalled using grade 9 bolts and washers and the bumper was finally reinstalled for the last time!
The whole project was under $100 in materials but it did take 8 hours over several days which could be an inconvenience if you need your vehicle as your daily driver.